This is how you kill someone

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
squidvicious

This is how you kill someone

Post by squidvicious » August 21st, 2022, 10:17 am

Running this morning on the Multnomah - Wahkeena loop, there was a guy with two loose dogs coming towards me. He could clearly see me, so I hoped he'd stop and put the leashes back on, but nope. Annoying, but whatever--the trail's wide enough for me and a dog, and they don't seem to be reacting to me, so they're hopefully safe. I shifted to the outside edge of the trail and pulled up a bit but didn't stop.

But one of the dogs did, stopped dead right in front of me. Emergency braking so I don't outright fall over him, lost my footing and started to tumble a bit, but fortunately was able to catch myself. I did yell out some choice words. The owner came striding over. Did he apologize for not having his dogs on leash? Did he ask if I was ok? Did he put the leashes back on? No. He shoulder-checked me, hard. I don't mean he bumped into me, I mean he hit me hard enough to leave a bruise, with the intent to knock me off the trail. And I did go over the edge, grabbing fistfuls of branches / brush / whatever to keep myself just upright enough to keep from going down all the way. All apparently because I dared swear at his unleashed dog for demonstrating why dogs are supposed to be leashed.

I thought I'd experienced the full menu of bad and dangerous experiences with dogs and crazy owners, but this is the first time I've actually been physically assaulted by an owner. It wasn't a super steep or high deadly drop like at Wiesendanger (and if that woman falling turns out to have anything to do with someone's uncontrolled dog I'm going to absolutely lose my shit), but I'm not prepared to perform the experiment to find out exactly how badly I could be injured. I'm still a jangly ball of adrenaline from being pissed, shocked, and scared.

The guy never said a word, just kept going. One of the dogs also took off, in the opposite direction to the guy. It was at least mildly gratifying to hear him angrily yelling after the dog. If only there were some action you could take that would make it so your dog couldn't run off like that...

Aimless

Re: This is how you kill someone

Post by Aimless » August 21st, 2022, 1:05 pm

:shock: :o :(

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 21st, 2022, 3:20 pm

I've always been remarkably accommodating about misbehaving dogs and their selfish guardians, but my patience snapped the day I was bitten by a dog who was acknowledged to be skittish, high-strung, not good around people.
I won't say more, because I don't want to piss off the dog lovers on the board, most of whom I'm sure are at least as reasonable and responsible as the average human (I know, that ain't saying much).

AlpenGlowHiker

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » August 22nd, 2022, 5:35 am

I'm a dog owner, and I have two dogs that I have taken with on hikes. They're always leashed and I am always the one to stop and get off the trail so others can pass.

I'm always appalled at the behavior of other owners. I also do not like it when dogs are not leashed, and always gives me a bit of anxiety when a dog comes running up to mine. Luckily I have not yet met an unleashed unruly dog.

It's truly disgusting hearing about a fellow dog owner, not only being disrespectful but also committing assault is infuriating.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 22nd, 2022, 5:52 am

On Badger Creek this dog came running at me. Ears down. Not barking. It seemed more threatening than if it was barking.

The owner came out and called it off and was a little apologetic. He said I spooked it. What? Blaming me for his bad behavior???

BigBear

Post by BigBear » August 22nd, 2022, 8:59 am

Squid: Sorry to hear of your unfortunate encounter on the trail. Never had any type of physical altercation on the trail because most people are of a more pleasant nature. I truly believe something has happened over the past 2 1/2 years with people's mindset. Rules are meant for them, everyone else is in their way, and a general feeling of narcissistic behavior. Being shoulder bumped after being virtually forced off the trail by rambunctious dogs would be an indelible stamp on my mind.

walrus

Post by walrus » August 22nd, 2022, 7:21 pm

That. Is. Awful. I hope you have enough good an happy memories of that stretch of trail to wash away the taint of that interaction.

Limey

Post by Limey » August 22nd, 2022, 7:40 pm

I was once almost knocked off a trail by one of two out of control unleashed dogs. Dog owner just passed by without a word. Thankfully I was able to gain footing before going over the edge. Would have been quite a fall.
I don't see a solution to this problem other than banning dogs on trails which doesn't seem at all a reasonable thing to do.

Water

Post by Water » August 22nd, 2022, 11:03 pm

wow, that's horrible. I'm very sorry to hear someone behaved like that.

as a dog owner I don't think you or anyone else needs to filter themselves about the behavior they've seen from inconsiderate owners.

Aside from the out-right assault which is criminal behavior regardless of what you said. The thing that strikes me about inconsiderate owners is the righteous indignation. I can't think of any specific cases where someone expressed their displeasure about my dog, esp our last dog who was in the truest sense a sweetie (not in the sense of once you get to know him, but actually calm, didn't jump or bark, growl, etc..anyways I digress)... but I feel like there was a time or two when someone (maybe even another dog owner) said something for whatever reason and I have never felt anything but apologetic and tried to resolve whatever the issue was.

the doubling down is what gets me. I've even run into it at the dog park. All the time, people ignoring their dog and it craps or right in front of them it does but if they don't think anyone will call them on it, they don't go pick it up. And when I've called them on it (as in "Hi, excuse me, your dog pooped over there a minute ago"), it became this argument/defensive/bombastic 'no they didn't poop!!!/don't tell me what to do' - which just seems bizarre? what's so bad with 'oh they did, where at? do you have a bag to spare, etc' - had this happen multiple times.

In my mind I imagine an off leash dog out of control at some kids playground chasing kids or stealing food from picnickers and the owner knows this is totally a problem and everyone is leering at them but they belt out with a huge smile and waving everyone away, "don't worry don't worry, I'm an inconsiderate asshole, it's okay my dog is acting like that"
Feel Free to Feel Free

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 23rd, 2022, 5:45 am

"don't tell me what to do"

Yeah, a lot of that going around. And people are so sure of their opinions and unwilling to consider others.

"I don't see a solution to this problem other than banning dogs on trails"

I suspect that guy would still go out with his dogs even if they were banned. Back to "don't tell me what to do" :)