This is how you kill someone

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
dmthomas49

Re: This is how you kill someone

Post by dmthomas49 » August 23rd, 2022, 9:04 am

Limey wrote:
August 22nd, 2022, 7:40 pm
I was once almost knocked off a trail by one of two out of control unleashed dogs. Dog owner just passed by without a word. Thankfully I was able to gain footing before going over the edge. Would have been quite a fall.
I don't see a solution to this problem other than banning dogs on trails which doesn't seem at all a reasonable thing to do.
I had this same thing happen on a narrow trail area on Hamilton Mountain where the fall would have been deadly. Luckily I dug my poles in time. The owner when confronted with the bad behavior of her off leash dogs said, “Oh, they are just having fun!”
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

wildcat

Post by wildcat » August 23rd, 2022, 4:48 pm

Holy shit! Glad you're alright. This is precisely why I have dashcams on both the bikes -- evidence in case somebody tries to run me off the road or is in any other way cyclist-hostile, and I end up having to call the cops on them or haul their sorry asses into court. Thankfully I haven't had to (yet).

Have you thought of getting a bodycam of some sort?
"don't tell me what to do"

Yeah, a lot of that going around. And people are so sure of their opinions and unwilling to consider others.
Welcome to post-2017 America. Bet you the guy probably drives a lifted diesel dually brodozer that normally gets 4 mi/gal, which after the addition of the obligatory MAGA/LGB and blue-line flags maybe only gets 1 1/2 on the highway if he's lucky.

'Murica. :roll:
Last edited by wildcat on August 31st, 2022, 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Life in Chacos
nwhikers.net: thewildcat

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 24th, 2022, 6:32 am

Numerous times every summer I have off-leash dogs run up to me barking and/or growling. I always say "control your dog, please." 19 times out of 20 the owner either ignores me entirely or brushes it off saying "oh don't worry, he's friendly!" That remaining 1 person will be rude with a response such "lighten up" or the like. Sometimes they blame me ("he doesn't like trekking poles" is my favorite :roll: ). No one EVER apologies or attempts to reign in their dog or leash it.

Dogs are banned on trails in national parks and that doesn't stop hikers from taking their dogs onto those trails. Dogs aren't allowed on Nature Conservancy properties such as Tom McCall Preserve, but I see them there. And there are places where leashes are required (i.e. Catherine Creek) and I see more off-leash dogs than on-leash dogs there.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 24th, 2022, 6:41 am

"19 times out of 20 the owner either ignores me entirely or brushes it off saying "oh don't worry, he's friendly!" That remaining 1 person will be rude with a response such "lighten up" or the like."

you have a career as a comedian - good timing :)

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » August 24th, 2022, 9:29 am

Squid and all the rest of you who have faced unruly, unleashed dogs with inconsiderate owners are understandably upset. I hike with my dog Buddy, a Cocker Spaniel, and have run into many unleashed dogs but I've been fortunate to NOT meet any inconsiderate owners. Buddy is unleashed most of the time on the trail but when we see approaching hikers, with or without dogs, I ask if they want me to leash him. Everyone I've met responded in a friendly manner, asking me to leash him since their dog is aggressive or young and jumpy. Of course I comply.
I watch Buddy carefully when we see approaching hikers to see his body language and also their faces for signs of fear or hesitancy and ask if they're okay.
This style has lasted through 3 Cockers, George, Bailey and Buddy and I've been very fortunate to never have a negative incident. I know some folks get upset with unleashed dogs since some of them chase wildlife and may be rambunctious. I feel the same about that type of dog and wish they would remain leashed or not on the trails but people are going to do what they do. Based on the dog owners behavior it seems like the rules should be for them rather than their dogs but of course that's not how things work.
One suggestion I'd like to make is to try and be aware of your facial expression and body language, things a dog and another person recognize even if unconsciously. I'm not saying you're the problem but just as a means of keeping things at a low key. Hopefully a few dog owners will be reading Squid's thread and amend their behavior.

cfm

Post by cfm » August 24th, 2022, 10:23 am

Hey Squidvicious, you asked for it.

Well not the human assault, that sucks.

But running towards any unleashed dog on a trail can provoke a defense reaction. Especially on the most popular tourist trail in the state. A place where many dog and humans take their first hike ever! Just look at their footwear. They dont know how to behave. Even the sweetest friendliest dog can get triggered by someone running at them.

This is what I do in such a situation and it works. I stop, wait for the human to get a hold of their pet, then walk by and say nothing, (but sometimes silently display annoyance depending on the sich). I have on occasion had people apologize to me.

I recommend you do something like that or go run somewhere else. We run to purge our angst, not increase it!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 24th, 2022, 11:16 am

"Buddy is unleashed most of the time on the trail...I know some folks get upset with unleashed dogs since some of them chase wildlife and may be rambunctious."

I hike with some family members with dogs, but on the beach. They sure enjoy running around off leash.

It would sure be nice if there was some way to allow them off leash without bothering anyone. Which sounds like what you've found and what I've observed with relatives. I routinely pass dogs off leash without any problem.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 24th, 2022, 11:17 am

"you asked for it"

hmmm... that could be misinterpreted :)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 24th, 2022, 4:57 pm

cfm wrote:
August 24th, 2022, 10:23 am
A place where many dog and humans take their first hike ever! Just look at their footwear.
Dogs are so cute in their little flipflops.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » August 24th, 2022, 5:06 pm

Please describe the perpetrator.