Timberline at Muddy Fork

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
texasbb

Timberline at Muddy Fork

Post by texasbb » August 14th, 2022, 4:27 pm

Can I assume the Field Guide is up to date and the Timberline Trail between Muddy Fork and Yocum Ridge is still closed?

pinecone

Re: Timberline at Muddy Fork

Post by pinecone » August 14th, 2022, 7:59 pm

The Timberline Trail between the upper Muddy Fork crossing and the junction with Yocum Ridge Trail #771 is still closed. Take the Ramona Falls Trail #797 and the PCT reroute for the foreseeable future.

Trail crews have been and will continue to be out there all summer working removing trees and rebuilding tread. They've taken out over 850 trees so far, with still hundreds left, and a huge amount of tread rebuilt. Landslides this winter from the deteriorating hillside dropped new logs and tread to remove on spots they worked last summer. Lots of work is being done, and a huge effort, mainly undertaken by the PCTA volunteer crews.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » August 15th, 2022, 6:31 am

Thanks. That's what I figured but thought I'd be sure. I've hiked both before and liked the Yocum Ridge route better. :)

greglief

Post by greglief » August 17th, 2022, 1:24 pm

texasbb wrote:
August 15th, 2022, 6:31 am
Thanks. That's what I figured but thought I'd be sure. I've hiked both before and liked the Yocum Ridge route better. :)
pinecone is too modest to mention that he hosts https://elevationchanges.com/timberlinetrail/, an extremely useful site which covers all things TT including snow depth, creek crossings, et cetera.

Greg