Parking in the wallowa's

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Mathias310791

Parking in the wallowa's

Post by Mathias310791 » June 10th, 2022, 5:04 pm

Hello there,

Hope this message will find you well.

I am planning to go hike at the wallowa's this september, but i didn't found some information.

I am planning to park near to Wallowa Lake TrailHead, but i didn't understood if i need a permit to park there or not.

Additionaly to this, do you have some recommendation about parking here ? Is it a lot crowded during labour week-end ? I will start my hike around 3/4 of september. (there will be empty space to park ?

Hope you can answer this few questions.

Mathias

retired jerry

Re: Parking in the wallowa's

Post by retired jerry » June 10th, 2022, 5:51 pm

Labor Day is Monday Sep 5. So Sep 3/4 is Saturday/Sunday.

That's about the busiest time.

I've parked there before but a while ago, I forget.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » June 10th, 2022, 6:05 pm

That trailhead is not in the list of those requiring a day use fee. However, the times I've parked there mid-week and non-holiday it has been pretty near full, so I'd guess you'll be lucky if you find a spot on Saturday of Labor Day weekend.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 10th, 2022, 7:29 pm

texasbb is 100% correct. No fee for parking at the Wallowa Lake trailhead, but it would be extremely crowded on Labor Day weekend. You might need to park pretty far from the the trailhead and walk a kilometer to the trail.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » June 11th, 2022, 12:15 am

Labor Day weekend will probably not be a very good experience, but the week after will be amazing! Everyone has left but the weather is still good.

Mathias310791

Post by Mathias310791 » June 11th, 2022, 8:17 pm

Hello,

Thank you all for your answer.

Well i have no choice, my holidays are at this time.

I am planning to arrive there saturday at night and begin my hike sunday in the morning. Will stay about 5-6 days in the wallowa's. I suppose i will see less people after monday on the trails.

And i guess i will be able to park, even at 1 kilometers from the trail (or at least, i hope so ! :D ).

It is not a real problem if i can only park far from the beginning of the trail (i can walk, i am here for that :D). Maybe do you have some good advice to park safely around here ?

See you !

Mathias

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 12th, 2022, 5:19 am

I think that will work

Hiking when there are a lot of others can also be good, a more social experience. Most people out in the wilderness are actually pretty nice.

I was just hiking at a busy place, camped at a large flat area. A couple other groups came along and also camped there, but over a ways so some privacy. Had a nice conversation.

drm

Post by drm » June 12th, 2022, 7:50 am

Last time I was there, people were parking down the road and there is a point where parking on the road is not allowed any farther down. I got one of the few last spots. I am not sure where you would go, and since most people will be starting Friday night or Saturday morning, you could run into this. Saturday night on a holiday weekend is about the worst possible time.

You might consider having a Plan B ready - another nearby trailhead that is not quite as popular. Maybe Hurricane Creek (esp. if you planning on the west fork)? It's always good to have a Plan B, esp. when going at busy times. Once I had to switch because a wildfire had closed both Wallowa Lake trailheads.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » June 12th, 2022, 8:24 am

Another option would be to explore some of the southern trailheads instead. The park interior will still be crowded, but I think southern areas are less crowded and a bit harder to get to. No less scenic either. About the same time and distance from Portland.

If that isn’t an option, I would recommend leaving super early to get there on Saturday morning.

Mathias310791

Post by Mathias310791 » June 12th, 2022, 5:52 pm

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your answers.

I've managed to get here at friday 2 at night and begin my hike saturday in the morning at the first light of the sun. I hope i will find some place to park at friday night. I will go quiclky to Ice Lake and Lake Bassin and explore around here, maybee it will be less crowded due to his location.

I plan to visit other place in oregon after that (three sisters, mount hound and some other place. i am still looking where exactly). Il will enjoy them without so much people :D.

Thanks you all !

Mathias