Parking in the wallowa's

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
retired jerry

Re: Parking in the wallowa's

Post by retired jerry » June 12th, 2022, 6:05 pm

I've hiked out of Wallowa Lake before

I've also hiked out of Lostine River - Two Pan trailhead. Maybe a bit less crowded at the trailhead. Definitely less crowded away from the trailhead. It pops you into the top of the Lakes Basin so you can avoid the more crowded lower Lakes Basin. That's my preferred entry now.

Go to Eagle Cap - just a trail. Glacier Basin is supposed to be great. I've aimed to go there a couple times but things like snow got in the way.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » June 13th, 2022, 7:23 am

The Glacier Lake segment from Frazier Lake to Mirror Lake is probably my favorite in the whole park.

montanasilver42

Post by montanasilver42 » June 14th, 2022, 10:48 am

Speaking of the Wallowas, I'm planning to do a 3-night trip up there in early July. Has anyone made at camp at Sunshine Lake or nearby? I don't want to deal with the crowds at Mirror Lake but still want to be in the lake basin. Thanks!

drm

Post by drm » June 14th, 2022, 11:50 am

montanasilver42 wrote:
June 14th, 2022, 10:48 am
Speaking of the Wallowas, I'm planning to do a 3-night trip up there in early July. Has anyone made at camp at Sunshine Lake or nearby? I don't want to deal with the crowds at Mirror Lake but still want to be in the lake basin. Thanks!
Never camped there. Although early July will be before the mad rush, the usual and best way to avoid crowds in the Lake Basin is not to camp right next to a lake. There are flat granite benches up and above the lakes, sometimes even small streams nearby. These spots actually have better views than lakeside. You can still see the lake - from above - and you have better views of Eagle Cap over the ridge.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » June 14th, 2022, 1:05 pm

montanasilver42 wrote:
I'm planning to do a 3-night trip up there in early July. Has anyone made at camp at Sunshine Lake or nearby?
I haven't, either... but it does look like there are a couple photo spheres nearby on Google Maps, and looking toward Sunshine Puddle there appears to be a decent campsite just south/southeast of the lake. You'll probably find a site amidst all the remaining snow... which there will probably be plenty still in early July.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.1809327 ... 704!8i4352
instagram: @remyodyssey

texasbb

Post by texasbb » June 14th, 2022, 5:20 pm

montanasilver42 wrote:
Sunshine is my preferred camp spot if I'm in the lakes basin (which I generally avoid). It's barely separated (barely 1/4 mile) from downtown Mirror Lake but generally at least feels less crowded. There aren't a whole lot of good spots, but it's a nice place. Be sure to snag a morning picture of Eagle Cap over Sunshine Lake--best photo op up there. (E.g.)

montanasilver42

Post by montanasilver42 » June 15th, 2022, 8:09 am

Thanks for all the recommendations! I've been to the Wallowas many times but have never camped in the Lakes Basin (I try to stick to the less crowded areas). My wife wants to set up shop in that area this time, so we're going to give it a go.