Hike Up - Not Down

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
quielo

Hike Up - Not Down

Post by quielo » June 5th, 2022, 5:48 am

My wife and I are of a "certain age" and we find we like walking up hills but coming down is hard on our knees. We are looking for suggestions on hikes that might work for us. We have no problem going 10+ miles and 2000+ feet of elevation gain. We were looking at hikes that start along 26 in Government Camp and end at Timberline lodge. Then we could take the the shuttle back to our car.

Any other suggestion?

Are there places you can take a ski lift down?

retired jerry

Re: Hike Up - Not Down

Post by retired jerry » June 5th, 2022, 5:53 am

there are lots of hikes that are pretty level, or just gradual downhill

Deschutes River, Wilson River, Eagle Creek,...

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » June 5th, 2022, 6:56 am

Not sure if Mt Hood Ski Bowl would allow only taking the lift down. If they do, a hike up Tom, Dick and Harry and then across the ridge to the top of Ski Bowl lift might work.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

cfm

Post by cfm » June 5th, 2022, 7:53 am

You could consider bike shuttles as well. Drive to upper trailhead and leave bike. Drive down to lower TH and hike up, bike back down to car. You could also leave car at upper trail and start with the biking downhill, just dont forget to pick up your bike on the way home!

I've done this on Dog, Cook, Larch, the High Ridge trail in Table Rock WA, and many others that involved offtrail navigation to make it work. River trails are great for this especially if a road parallels the river. I've done Salmon and Clackamas River trails, Trout Creek and Santiam Wagon roads, and the Wilson River trail as bike shuttles.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 5th, 2022, 8:34 am

If you find any good options please post them as I would benefit also.

If you can find someone compatible who likes to hike down hill instead: for any trail with vehicle access at both ends you could drop them at the top and let them drive your car up from the bottom.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 5th, 2022, 12:16 pm

cfm wrote:
June 5th, 2022, 7:53 am
You could consider bike shuttles as well. Drive to upper trailhead and leave bike....
I've done this on Dog
How do you do a bike shuttle at Dog Mountain??

quielo

Post by quielo » June 5th, 2022, 12:20 pm

retired jerry wrote:
June 5th, 2022, 5:53 am
there are lots of hikes that are pretty level, or just gradual downhill

Deschutes River, Wilson River, Eagle Creek,...
Hi Jerry, I like the uphill climb. We just can't take steep downhills anymore.

quielo

Post by quielo » June 5th, 2022, 12:21 pm

dmthomas49 wrote:
June 5th, 2022, 6:56 am
Not sure if Mt Hood Ski Bowl would allow only taking the lift down. If they do, a hike up Tom, Dick and Harry and then across the ridge to the top of Ski Bowl lift might work.
Thanks, I will check.

quielo

Post by quielo » June 5th, 2022, 12:37 pm

Webfoot wrote:
June 5th, 2022, 8:34 am
If you find any good options please post them as I would benefit also.

If you can find someone compatible who likes to hike down hill instead: for any trail with vehicle access at both ends you could drop them at the top and let them drive your car up from the bottom.
The shuttle down from Timberline lodge seems the best option so far. I think goes all the way to Sandy so that would make a very long day.

drm

Post by drm » June 5th, 2022, 12:43 pm

Some loops are steeper up than down if done in a certain direction. The Indian Point loop (in the field guide) done CCW is like this, though it is still a pretty good hill either way.

The hike up to Tilly Jane or Cloud Cap is a good uphill, and you could get a ride back down - though there is no shuttle of course.

This summer, drive to Joseph in the Wallowas and hike up to the top of the gondola and get a ride down.