Hike Up - Not Down

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
cfm

Re: Hike Up - Not Down

Post by cfm » June 5th, 2022, 6:05 pm

Re Adam
How do you do a bike shuttle at Dog Mountain??
Leave bike at North end of Aug trail. You can go up/down from either side,using Berge road past Timberlake Park or Jessup Rd from Mill A. I've done both and the Cook Underwood side is better, funner downhill, but you do need mountain bike.

walrus

Post by walrus » June 6th, 2022, 6:02 pm

The Green Canyon-Salmon River loop might still be a little too much down from the description of your needs, but it is a steep up and gentler descent.

In Portland, you could explore various trails up to OHSU or Washington Park (check out the SW trails map) and then take the Tram or Max down.

Charley

Post by Charley » June 6th, 2022, 9:57 pm

I'm really digging some of these ideas! I can personally recommend riding down Timberline Highway on a bike. It's a blast.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » June 8th, 2022, 5:51 pm

What about the Little Badger Creek/School Canyon loop done clockwise? It has the gentle climb up LB Creek, the steep climb to Helispot, and then a rather gentle downhill return to School Canyon TH?

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... verse_Hike
instagram: @remyodyssey

ChrisA

Post by ChrisA » June 11th, 2022, 5:46 am

I know you mentioned Mt. Hood, but have you thought about Mount Saint Helens for a hike and bike? You can leave a bike at Johnston Ridge Observatory (JRO) and start at Hummocks and catch the Boundary trail. And ride the bike down Spirit Lake Highway. Or start from South Coldwater and go to Johnston Ridge via Coldwater Peak. There would be some downhill from Coldwater Peak to JRO. Or go from the Coldwater Lake parking area and hike up to the Coldwater visitor center.