Food storage for bears

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Mathias310791

Food storage for bears

Post by Mathias310791 » May 18th, 2022, 2:48 pm

Hello Everyone !

Hope this message will find you well. :)

I am planning to hike around Wallowa's and The cascades at beginning mid-september (in solo).

Was wondering if it's mandatory (or highly recommanded) to take a bearvault or some kind of ursack ?

Want to know if there's a lot of bear in those area's ans i prefer be safe and respect the place. But this material is also bulky and heavy hehe.

I will appreciate your answer !

Have a great day ! :D :D

Mathias

texasbb

Re: Food storage for bears

Post by texasbb » May 18th, 2022, 3:13 pm

In the vast majority of locations, bear cans are not necessary if you do a decent hang.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 18th, 2022, 4:45 pm

None of the National Forests in Oregon require bear canisters for hikers. All of them strongly recommend securing your food either in a canister or by hanging it a minimum of 3 meters off the ground and 1.5 meters from any tree trunk. Hanging it higher and further from trees is much preferred, but not always easy. You should follow these recommendations.

If you hike in Crater Lake National Park, you are required to either use a canister or to hang your food.

I am not familiar enough with all the National Parks or National Forests in Washington State to make accurate statements about everywhere there. You should check the websites of places in WA where you intend to hike, but anywhere that does not absolutely require canisters or hanging will definitely strongly recommend it.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » May 18th, 2022, 5:41 pm

The good news is that the bears are somewhat distracted by huckleberries in September.

No cans required in the Wallowas, but beware of mice!

drm

Post by drm » May 19th, 2022, 6:57 am

Yeah, rodents are far more likely to get into your food than bears. But since they eat only your food - and not YOU - the non-hiking public doesn't obsess on that risk. Squirrels love trail mix.

Although Aimless mentioned it, I want to emphasize the need for food hangs to be 6 feet away from the tree trunk. I constantly see food hung up high but just 2-3 feet away from the tree trunk - easy pickings for a tree-climbing bear. And that branch needs to be thin enough that it won't hold a bear's weight.

jvangeld

Post by jvangeld » May 19th, 2022, 9:18 am

Jeremy VanGelder - Friends of Road 4109

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » May 19th, 2022, 7:24 pm

drm wrote:
May 19th, 2022, 6:57 am

Although Aimless mentioned it, I want to emphasize the need for food hangs to be 6 feet away from the tree trunk. I constantly see food hung up high but just 2-3 feet away from the tree trunk - easy pickings for a tree-climbing bear. And that branch needs to be thin enough that it won't hold a bear's weight.
Realistically it’s very difficult to find trees like that in most forested areas. Very frustrating. I put my stuff in a scent lock bag and don’t worry about it’s exact location in the tree.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 20th, 2022, 5:54 am

I have found that bears in Oregon and Washington (except maybe far North) are afraid of humans and don't go after our food

I have had rodents eat some of my food multiple times

At least hang your food good enough to protect it from rodents

drm

Post by drm » May 20th, 2022, 6:15 am

leiavoia wrote:
May 19th, 2022, 7:24 pm
Realistically it’s very difficult to find trees like that in most forested areas. Very frustrating. I put my stuff in a scent lock bag and don’t worry about it’s exact location in the tree.
I usually find one, at least 3/4 of the time. It's true that many trees have branches that grow at too severe an angle, or are too high. But you only have to find one. When I fail at that, then I settle for a squirrel hang.

Not sure what scent lock is wrt a bear. I have read that they can smell food even in a sealed plastic bag - though not from as far away.

I was thinking of getting an Ursack, but they are so expensive and actually pretty heavy and bulky too.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 20th, 2022, 8:57 am

A bear canister is also a good hedge against small critters that may gnaw their way into your tent/food supply. I use one mainly for that purpose. Especially if I'm using a base camp and doing day hikes from there, I don't want to carry my food with me all day to thwart the camp rodents. Hanging food would work just as well, but I find a canister more convenient.

Farther south, hanging food is no deterrence to some night robbers. In northern Arizona, I woke up one night to find a couple of ring-tailed cats had tight-roped my line, opened my pack, and were happily gobbling my rations (until I chased them away). Most artful thieves they were. Their range reaches southern Oregon.