Best view of Rainier from the Paradise area?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
AlpenGlowHiker

Best view of Rainier from the Paradise area?

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » May 9th, 2022, 5:33 am

My trek this Summer will end at Paradise, Mt Rainier. I would like to officially reach the end with the best view of Mt Rainier near the Paradise area.

At first I thought Panorama Pt would be a great spot, but after googling some photo's I think there could be a better spot.

So, does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT
Something similar to the view of Mt Adams from High Camp.
Last edited by AlpenGlowHiker on May 9th, 2022, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

drm

Re: Best of Rainier from the Paradise area?

Post by drm » May 9th, 2022, 6:28 am

This gets to the question of better view of what exactly. When you are up on the side of a mountain, you get dramatic views of glaciers and canyons, but not really the whole mountain. You would actually be better to head a little lower for a classic mountain profile.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » May 9th, 2022, 6:42 am

Keep in mind it’s also weather dependent. I spent a week up there and never once got a good view. But I hope you will do better than that!

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 9th, 2022, 7:51 am

The view of Rainier from the top of Pinnacle Peak is pretty awesome.

20130806-175604.jpg

AlpenGlowHiker

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » May 9th, 2022, 11:27 am

Adam, that's a great view but a bit further away than I would like.

After reading the comments, I think I would like something similar to the view of Mt Adams from High Camp, if that is even possible in the Paradise area.

gallione11

Re: Best view of Rainier from the Paradise area?

Post by gallione11 » May 9th, 2022, 1:05 pm

I was going to suggest Pinnacle Peak, as well. Honestly, there's several spots on the Skyline trail that may give you what you're looking for. I've never been to High Camp on Adams, but judging on a google image search, you should be able to find several spots. I've attached a selection of 5 all from different spots on the Skyline trail as some examples. None of these are as far as Panorama Point.
IMG_8326.jpg
IMG_5444.jpg
IMG_5446.jpg
IMG_3443.JPG
IMG_3450.JPG

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 9th, 2022, 10:20 pm

AlpenGlowHiker wrote:
May 9th, 2022, 11:27 am
After reading the comments, I think I would like something similar to the view of Mt Adams from High Camp, if that is even possible in the Paradise area.
Then try the trails west and north of Panorama Point: Glacier Vista, Upper Skyline, and Pebble Creek. This is from Glacier Vista, about 1.4 trail miles above Paradise:

20170810-104058.jpg

drm

Post by drm » May 10th, 2022, 7:16 am

Okay, so you want close and dramatic. You will find plenty of that hiking above Paradise, around every corner really, once you get up a little ways. Think of Barrett Spur or Cooper Spur more than High Camp on Adams. Adams' low angle alpine slopes are more friendly to alpine plants, which grows essentially to glacier's edge, than you will find on Rainier higher up. Nor will you see any goats above Paradise.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » May 10th, 2022, 5:31 pm

Instead of contemplating the best view and putting all of your fill rolls in one pouch...as I look at the ongoing colder and wetter than normal weather forecast for yet another weekend... You may be socked in with clouds on that picture-perfect spot on the mountain.

There are several nice places in the Paradise area, as are there around the Burrows and the north side of the mountain. Trying to pick the best place is really a matter of personal preference. Do you want a waterfall, some nice snags, how about some alpenglow, or a reflection in a lake? My advice is just to get into the rhythm of the walk and enjoy each wonderful view as you come around each bend. Just be happy if you don't get rained off the mountain.

Historically, obtaining the first picture of Crater Lake took several weeks of patience, waiting for the clouds to break, and that first picture was quite marginal. Weather can really play havoc on photography...or create some shots that were completely unexpected.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

AlpenGlowHiker

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » May 11th, 2022, 3:43 am

Thank you everyone, this has been very helpful. Now I'm thinking lush waterfalls and elk drinking from water, with the sun just starting to rise over the horizon casting a nice alpenglow on the mountain.

But, back to reality... as a Portland-area native I understand the risks of the weather and it'll be what it'll be, I just would rather not "end" at the parking lot at Paradise. :)

This will be a fun trip and I can't wait to share it.

Again, thank you all for the input, I really appreciate it.