landslide!

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

landslide!

Post by Chip Down » April 23rd, 2022, 7:32 pm

This was a cool surprise. I've seen old ones, and new ones being cleaned up, but this is (I think) the first time I've seen a new untouched slide. On an obscure gated road east of Washougal.
Attachments
20220423_143945.jpg

Charley

Re: landslide!

Post by Charley » April 24th, 2022, 12:14 pm

Neat!

When I moved here, if I heard on the news that a road had been "closed by landslide," your photo is exactly what I always pictured. I'd picture a bunch of dirt and tree stuff down on top of the road grade.

The reality that I'd see usually ended up being that a road itself (often at a culvert) has slumped over into the abyss.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

ChrisA

Post by ChrisA » April 24th, 2022, 6:54 pm

That is a good one. I am cautious during the wet season to not get caught on the wrong side!

BigBear

Post by BigBear » April 25th, 2022, 3:33 pm

It's more memorable to be out on the trail while one is happening.

Cedar Trail, Tryon Creek: a mudslide that was a small island of earth (perhaps 20 or 30 feet in length) migrating its way down a small canyon, breaking trees as it descended. It would stop for a while, and then, snap, a small deciduous tree would break, and the island would move a bit further. I had a safe side view of the event.

Horsetail Falls: while out on a work party to remove a rockslide, another one started. About all we could do was get behind the closest tree and hope the bouncing rocks would strike somewhere else. It wasn't a big slide, but you don't know what's going to happen at the time.

Red Butte near Greenleaf Peak: big group (16-20 people), drizzly day with low clouds. We're at the base of a cliff and we hear thunder overhead, no, not thunder, maybe a low-flying plane, but that wouldn't make much sense in this low visibility, then the light bulb goes off and we realize what's really happening above us. Almost simultaneously, several of us yell "rockslide, run!" We just ran from the cliff as we heard trees breaking behind us. Never looked back to see the show, just kept wondering when the rocks would catch up with us. Fortunately, the trees took the brunt of the earthfall.

So, these are my three freshest landslides. I have also seen trees fall ahead of me on the trail, and not due to the wind, just due to the rot. It was their time, and I was pleased it was not my time. I've also had lightning strikes in nearby trees while camping (Golden Lake by Broken Top and Broken Arrow CG at Diamond Lake). A lot of miles over a lot of years produce a lot of memories.