Crabtree Lake: open/suitable for kid's first backpack trip?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
kingcole

Crabtree Lake: open/suitable for kid's first backpack trip?

Post by kingcole » April 20th, 2022, 2:28 pm

Hi all. I'm hoping to take my 6.5 year old (and my very old dog:)) out for an easy, "low threshold of fun" first backpack trip some time in early-mid May. I ran across the Crabtree Lake hike on here, and wondered if any of the members had any feedback about the status of that trail at this time of year.

If folks have other, better ideas for big wins with little kids for their first overnight in the backcountry, please also let me know! We're located in Salem, so something within 90 minutes of there would be best.

Thank you in advance!!

cfm

Re: Crabtree Lake: open/suitable for kid's first backpack trip?

Post by cfm » April 21st, 2022, 4:52 am

I was there last year at the end of May.

There were some snowdrifts around at the parking area, and on the approach to King Tut, but it was all melted out around the lake.

There was one area of giant blowdown to navigate around on the road down to the lake, but otherwise should be pleasant for little person and old dog. It's going back uphill that will be the biggest challenge for a 6 1/2 year old. You might consider this for backpack number 2 a little later in the year and try something easier for number one. How about the Santiam Wagon Road?

kingcole

Post by kingcole » April 22nd, 2022, 9:14 am

Thanks very much!

If anyone has recommendations for a good young kid's first backpack trip in the near-Salem-ish vicinity, please also let me know! Much appreciated.

MagicBandana

Post by MagicBandana » May 6th, 2022, 3:01 pm

I live in Salem too. Our kids (ages 9 & 11) will barely day hike, haven't tried backpacking yet. However, I've taken newer (adult) backpackers on the McKenzie River trail. I like that there are lots of things to look at (river, waterfalls, secret hotspring), a number of places you can get off the trail to civilization if you need to bail, campsites all along, and it's not too steep anywhere. I probably wouldn't recommend doing the whole thing, and if you can get a friend to do a car shuttle so you only have to go one way, BONUS! That said, I haven't been since the fires (did it get burned? Not sure.), so I don't know what it looks like now.

Pre-fire, I parked at the TH for Shelburg Falls and hiked into the campground on a weeknight evening after work just to get out of Salem. That's closed now (I'm facing the same questions of where to go now that all our fave spots are burned??), but if you can think of a similar setup (or hang onto that one until it's reopened), it's a super easy jaunt (and technically car accessible if you have to bail). Good luck!