McKenzie Pass, how far with Repo pup?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
hikerduane

McKenzie Pass, how far with Repo pup?

Post by hikerduane » April 17th, 2022, 10:07 pm

I have a Pass for the Three Sisters Loop via McKenzie Pass for early August, how far will I be able to hike in or a out and back with my dog? Have seen a few mentions to not bring a dog for the loop, but am asking how much of it or where will we be able to hike with some leather booties? I have a five day Pass, but am mentally prepared to even just do a couple three days. Longest bp trip he has been with me was five nights in the Ansel Adams Wilderness three years ago or so. He carries a pack. Thank you.
Duane

retired jerry

Re: McKenzie Pass, how far with Repo pup?

Post by retired jerry » April 18th, 2022, 5:40 am

There are rocky places all along but probably with leather booties you should be okay?

South on PCT, Minnie Scott Spring is a great place to camp. Beyond that it gets rockier, like over Opie Dilldock and past Obsidean Falls. The obsidian is especially sharp on dog feet?

jdemott

Post by jdemott » April 18th, 2022, 7:38 am

You definitely will need booties, and I would advise keeping them on the dog's feet for anything that looks like volcanic soil, even if it appears pretty sandy. There can be small slivers of obsidian in the sandy soil that can easily slit a paw.

My daughter's dog got a cut in its paw at Tam MacArthur and it was a very painful situation. It also made for extremely slow going for the rest of the hike, even with bandages and booties on the paw.

Some dogs seem to walk pretty well with the booties but some seem to find them awkward and they slow down a lot. You probably should do a practice hike to find out how far and fast your dog can manage with the booties.

Opie Dilldock would probably be the one of the most difficult areas for a dog as the trail passes over a long stretch of volcanic talus and I could imagine that a dog might have difficulty keeping its paws from getting caught in some of the gaps in the rock.

Bring lots of water for both of you!

hikerduane

Post by hikerduane » April 18th, 2022, 12:20 pm

Thank you, he is used to short walks everyday, but concerned about the lava areas and keeping him cool and hydrated. Would have liked to of gotten a Pole Creek Pass. I'll plan on 4 to 5 days then, but have read about some distance between water, I did write down some spots that a poster stated had water in a dry year. I'm used to getting water every couple hours if needed.
Duane

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 18th, 2022, 5:03 pm

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... sters_Hike

the field guide has good info where to find water and other things

hikerduane

Post by hikerduane » July 20th, 2022, 2:02 pm

Looks like I will be unable to do my hike, nor in the Eagle Cap as well due to plantar fasiaitis(sp) in my left foot. Bummer, the two trips were over half my planned trip to Oregon. Will only be car camping a few days along the coast and a few more inland. At least I have reservations for four of the possible 8 nights camping.
My start date was Aug 9 out of McKenzie Pass TH. Will cancel if I can Monday, July 25.
Duane