Calling all hiking book authors

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Spoonie_B

Calling all hiking book authors

Post by Spoonie_B » March 4th, 2022, 11:14 am

Hi folks,

After 12 years in Portland, I relocated to Mexico a couple of years ago. I've begun working as a freelance writer, and I've decided that there really needs to be a guide book for 1+ night backpacks in Mexico. Of course, I think I'm the guy to write it. 😁

I have lots of ideas, but I could really use some inside info and a little guidance from a published author of similar books. If you are one or know one, I'd be very grateful to talk to you or be connected. Please DM me if you can help.

Happy trails,
Alan
Last edited by Spoonie_B on March 8th, 2022, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wildcat

Re: Calling all hiking book authors

Post by wildcat » March 8th, 2022, 7:43 pm

Scott Cook used to be active on here years ago, he wrote "Curious Gorge" and a similar book about New Zealand. But I don't know if he still lurks or when the last time he logged in was.

You could try to PM him I guess and see if he responds; think his handle is "CuriousGorgeAuthor" or something to that effect.
Life in Chacos
nwhikers.net: thewildcat

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 8th, 2022, 7:47 pm

wildcat wrote:
March 8th, 2022, 7:43 pm
Scott Cook used to be active on here years ago, he wrote "Curious Gorge" and a similar book about New Zealand. But I don't know if he still lurks or when the last time he logged in was.
Scott seems to have disappeared. He hasn't posted here or on his Curious Gorge blog in 5 years, which is especially unfortunate because in the book he promised to post updates online.
Last edited by adamschneider on March 8th, 2022, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoonie_B

Post by Spoonie_B » March 8th, 2022, 9:06 pm

Thanks, I'll see if Scott is reachable. Appreciate the suggestion!

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 8th, 2022, 11:16 pm

You might have more luck with Paul Gerald, author of 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles of Portland; he's "OneSpeed" on here, and he's actually logged in recently.

Spoonie_B

Post by Spoonie_B » March 9th, 2022, 5:38 am

Great to know, thanks Adam. I remember now that Paul was sometimes active here years ago when I was too.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » March 10th, 2022, 1:49 pm

Scott shows up on this FB Group Page. He administers it, you can probably message him.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2008081966087824/
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Spoonie_B

Post by Spoonie_B » March 10th, 2022, 1:51 pm

Thanks, Waffle Stomper.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » March 10th, 2022, 4:06 pm

Spoonie_B wrote:
March 10th, 2022, 1:51 pm
Thanks, Waffle Stomper.
You are welcome.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

querulous

Post by querulous » May 27th, 2022, 8:53 pm

Mexico's a pretty big country. Would you buy a book on one-night backpacks in the entire USA? I wouldn't.
Unless you are planning to steal content from elsewhere, and assuming you aspire to have some first-hand knowledge of what you're writing about, a regional guide makes more sense. Hard-gleaned local knowledge is pretty important in Mexico. Most of what you need to know is not on line and is not written down. Which, on the one hand, makes guidebook composition much more arduous, but on the other hand makes it much more useful once written.

There are also quite scenic, interesting regions in Mexico, such as the Sierra Madre Occidental, or the "sky islands" ranges of northern Sonora, where I, despite language competency, some local knowledge, and a desire to visit, would not venture. I do not want to be kidnapped, held for ransom, or murdered. These are real risks in many parts of Mexico. You want to write a guidebook, find a relatively safe area, research it first-hand, and don't expect to get rich. The Yucatan and central Baja California come to mind. There might be some scope for recreational walking the far S, too (Oaxaca, say) but I don't really know enough to say.

I know a guy who wrote a guide to routes in the cape region of southern Baja California. That was a useful and interesting book. It was, however, a pure labor of love and not lucrative.