2022 and Beyond - Snow Levels

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Don Nelsen

Re: 2022 and Beyond - Snow Levels

Post by Don Nelsen » March 27th, 2022, 9:13 am

March 26th, Nick Eaton Ridge, no snow at least to 3,100', as high as I went. A few small patches seen off-trail in shady spots, but trail is completely clear.
Last edited by Don Nelsen on March 27th, 2022, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

rubiks

Post by rubiks » March 27th, 2022, 4:58 pm

I hiked up Gorton Creek trail then took the Deadwood cutoff over to Nick Eaton on March 26. Gorton Creek was totally clear up to Indian Point. There were some small patches of snow on Gorton Creek between Indian Point and Deadwood, and some larger patches on Deadwood. Everything but the deeper snow on that one scree slope will likely melt off in the next week or two.

There was also some moderate blowdown on Gorton Creek between Indian Point and Deadwood, and on Deadwood up to Nick Eaton. Mostly small stuff, easy enough to negotiate, nothing that a couple folks with a small saw couldn't clear in a couple hours.
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 27th, 2022, 6:31 pm

This was surely the last weekend of the season to see snow on railcar bridge (2000'). The little bit that remains will be gone in a couple days.

The utility corridor pictured below tops out at 2800. The far/west side was bare, so I only had to contend with snow on the descent.
Attachments
20220327_121439.jpg
20220327_105954.jpg

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 28th, 2022, 7:32 pm

drm wrote:
March 27th, 2022, 6:55 am
Trapper Creek is just starting to melt out. The parking lot is still mostly covered by snow, and in any case is inaccessible due to a large tree across the road - a couple of them. I walked over to the trail and snow is patchy at the bottom but it is tree after tree after tree down across the trail. And the patchy snow becomes constant in far less than a mile.
Kel and I gave Trapper Creek a try today and did a six mile out and back. As Dean reported, the trail has lots of trees down at the start but I cut the first half dozen or so as well as all the trees on the road. I didn't move everything out of the way that I cut off the trail hoping some folks younger and stronger will do that. It's easier to get by now anyway. We were able to get through the snow on the parking lot and park right at the TH, too. It's melting fast.

The snow on the trail peters out completely after that first mile, maybe less, and the trail is bare and basically dry the rest of the way. This is an odd area that holds its snow on the flats far longer that on the hillsides. Once the trail starts climbing, no snow. There are 30 trees down, total, as far as the junction of the Deer Cutoff Trail, some fairly big but all can be easily passed over, around or under without too much trouble. I picked up at least a couple hundred branches too, so the trail is mostly clear of that, too.
IMG_5267.JPG
IMG_5209.JPG
IMG_5266.JPG
This is a really nice area and a great trail if you can put up with that first mile and the downed trees. We had it all to ourselves, too.

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » March 29th, 2022, 6:34 am

Thanks Kel and Don, that's a lot of work and I'm sure all of the Trapper Creek fans appreciate it so much. I'm not younger or stronger but my friend and I will attempt to move some of the pieces from the trail when we head into the area. You guys are trail stewards for sure.

drm

Post by drm » March 29th, 2022, 7:13 am

Don, you must carry a chain saw. I take a folding saw, but you don't cut logs with that. The first mile is pretty much before the wilderness boundary, so power tools are allowed.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 29th, 2022, 9:56 am

drm wrote:
March 29th, 2022, 7:13 am
Don, you must carry a chain saw. I take a folding saw, but you don't cut logs with that. The first mile is pretty much before the wilderness boundary, so power tools are allowed.
Yes, I usually do carry a chain saw. Comes in handy, to say the least. I carry a smaller hand saw too but as you say, you don't cut logs with that.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 29th, 2022, 9:58 am

BaileyBoy wrote:
March 29th, 2022, 6:34 am
Thanks Kel and Don, that's a lot of work and I'm sure all of the Trapper Creek fans appreciate it so much. I'm not younger or stronger but my friend and I will attempt to move some of the pieces from the trail when we head into the area. You guys are trail stewards for sure.
Thanks BB, your work up there will be much appreciated too.

dn

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 30th, 2022, 1:26 pm

rubiks wrote:
March 27th, 2022, 4:58 pm
I hiked up Gorton Creek trail then took the Deadwood cutoff over to Nick Eaton on March 26. Gorton Creek was totally clear up to Indian Point. There were some small patches of snow on Gorton Creek between Indian Point and Deadwood, and some larger patches on Deadwood. Everything but the deeper snow on that one scree slope will likely melt off in the next week or two.

There was also some moderate blowdown on Gorton Creek between Indian Point and Deadwood, and on Deadwood up to Nick Eaton. Mostly small stuff, easy enough to negotiate, nothing that a couple folks with a small saw couldn't clear in a couple hours.
I passed a guy going the other direction as I neared the junction to point 3152. The trail was narrow and he stepped aside for me and I said something like "...room for everybody" and he said something about solitude. I didn't quite hear all of it.

Was that you?

Don

rubiks

Post by rubiks » March 30th, 2022, 5:47 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
March 30th, 2022, 1:26 pm
rubiks wrote:
March 27th, 2022, 4:58 pm

I passed a guy going the other direction as I neared the junction to point 3152. The trail was narrow and he stepped aside for me and I said something like "...room for everybody" and he said something about solitude. I didn't quite hear all of it.

Was that you?

Don
It might have been. I was hiking with one other guy, we started up around 6:30am and didn't see anybody else until we got to the top of 3152 around 10am. One guy and his dog were already up there. We did pass a lot more folks heading up Nick Eaton as we were headed down, including one pretty large group of 10+ that we stepped aside for. Maybe that was you?

So far my only confirmed sighting on anyone from this site was Splintercat last October on the Timberline trail. But with as much time I spend hiking around here I'm sure I'll run into some more folks sooner or later.

I also want to thank you for all the work you do clearing trails. Every now and again I'll take a handsaw with me, but not often enough.
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.