Updated riverside fire closure

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
greenjello85

Updated riverside fire closure

Post by greenjello85 » January 1st, 2022, 7:43 pm

Note sure when this was updated but more terrain opened since the last time I looked. Looks like 4610 is now open so should be able to access southern salmon huckleberry wilderness and part of roaring river wilderness after the low snow melts off.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 835670.pdf

Aimless

Re: Updated riverside fire closure

Post by Aimless » January 2nd, 2022, 9:06 am

4610 has a single icon for "Point of closure" inserted about midway along it. This leaves its status strangely ambiguous.

RobFromRedland

Re: Updated riverside fire closure

Post by RobFromRedland » January 2nd, 2022, 10:27 am

Aimless wrote:
January 2nd, 2022, 9:06 am
4610 has a single icon for "Point of closure" inserted about midway along it. This leaves its status strangely ambiguous.
I'm guessing that is probably the location of the old slide near Mack Hall creek which was "repaired" when they brushed out that road during the fire in 2020. I put repaired in quotes because it isn't going to stay too long - they didn't build a road thru the slide, they just moved a bunch of dirt - so soon it will either succumb to a new slide or get trashed by 4 wheelers. I actually drove all the way up to that slide earlier this fall and decided not to go thru it - the red clay was really wet and slippery and I wasn't sure I'd be able to get back up - and I didn't want to go all the way around mt hood to get home.

I've heard rumors they are going to close the slide area - kind of like it was before the fires, although that closure was due to there essentially being no road thru the slide area. Who knows what will happen.

It seems 224 is never going to reopen - not even partially - although it was planned to reopen by the end of the year, it is now closed indefinitely. They've cleared all the hazard trees but are worried about rockslides now. I'm sure they've now bankrupted all the whitewater rafting companies that called the Clackamas home at this point.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson