so, how many miles did you manage in 2021

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
BigBear

so, how many miles did you manage in 2021

Post by BigBear » January 1st, 2022, 5:41 pm

It's that time of the year again when I like to review the year and see what I accomplished. For me, not that much, just 643 miles and most of those were local.

I did manage several new routes this year: Dry Creek (Tapper Creek), Umbrella Falls Loop (I hadn't done the loop previously, just the up and back), Pioneer Bridal Trail (the lower end), and Gnat Creek (Clatsop County).

My favorite hike of the year was a short Indian Heaven hike at the peak of the autumn color. It was only 4 to 4.5 miles but it was just a relaxing walk with a quiet lunch that it just felt good.

Epiphany of the year: Home Depot sells rocks. My landscaping place has not allowed visits to the piles due to the pandemic and I thus ran out of rocks to paint and hide last spring. Now I have a new supply so people looking for wonderment on the local trails have something to look for. I don't "hide" them in national forests or wildernesses, just on the more urban trails.

Don Nelsen

Re: so, how many miles did you manage in 2021

Post by Don Nelsen » January 1st, 2022, 6:36 pm

My year in review.

I was pleased to get to hike with lots of old friends in 2021. Guy & Chiyoko, Pascal & Kazuko, Bobcat, Webfoot, Milo and Peder as well as a half dozen more folks not on this board. My old friend Klenke came down from Seattle and we spent a drizzly day bagging a few peaks north of MSH. It was nice to see him again and as usual, we had a great day in the woods. I met a few folks I knew or knew about while hiking, most notably the elusive Chip Down, which was a most pleasant surprise. Speaking of Chip, I bagged about 40 party balloons last year (a record) and properly disposed of them all.

Kelly was my regular hiking partner and we did 43 hikes together. She still follows me anywhere and I still don’t know what’s wrong with her. I hiked solo for 51 hikes, never hurt myself beyond needing a bandage or two and only fell off a log once. Not a trace of poison oak or a tick either - that may be a first.

I did trail maintenance alone, or with the above-mentioned folks on 29 hikes, mostly on the PCT, Snag Creek, the 400, Gorton Creek, Cook Hill, Cedar Creek and a half dozen others as well. I took out lots of brush, about 300 trees across the routes and uncounted fallen branches. Less than last year but still a good workout.

I logged 560 miles, 137,000’ EG.

Longest hike was Blue Lake Ridge with Peder, 13.6 miles and this was also the most EG: 4050’.

My average hike was shorter this year, mostly because the trail work hikes were usually much shorter than regular hikes. I’m not complaining, all my hikes were fun days in the woods.

The hottest day out was a virtual tie with Snag Creek at 95 degrees and Archer Mountain at 94 degrees. The coldest was almost a tie, too, with Archer Mountain in February at 22 degrees and last week’s Triple Falls hike at 24 degrees. I’d usually not hike in those hot temperatures but sometimes I just have to get out! I love the cold weather days though, and I love the views of the cliffs and waterfalls covered in ice. The temperatures were taken with my Kestrel thermometer.

I didn’t get very far afield in 2021, and never left OR, WA or ID, but it was a strange year and I hope to do much more in 2022.

Hope to see you on the trail!

All my best for all of you in 2022.

DN
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

maryannpdx

Post by maryannpdx » January 1st, 2022, 7:57 pm

549 miles; 94,000 eg. Lower than normal due to injury - I lost 6 weeks of hiking due to a sprained ankle (not hiking related).
MaryannPDX

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » January 1st, 2022, 7:58 pm

BigBear didn't waste any time getting the 2021 version posted!

It was an unusual year for me. In Nov 2020 I messed up a foot, and anticipating a long recovery, I was finally motivated to buy a bike. The foot recovery was much faster than expected, but even so, I ended up focusing on biking about as much as hiking in 21. Sustained a couple injuries to complement my bad foot. :D

As usual, I have no idea how many miles or elevation gain, and I didn't keep a trip log, so I don't even know how many adventures I had.

I'm ashamed to say I don't know how many balloons I found, although I suppose I could go look at the HB thread. Nope, I just looked, too many pages to sift through.

Numbers aside, it was a sedate year. I had some amazing adventures on St Helens and Hood and Adams in 2020, but 2021 was boring in comparison. Heck, it's quite possible my only real alpine hike was my annual watermelon/wine excursion up to Hogsback.

gallione11

Post by gallione11 » January 2nd, 2022, 1:06 pm

63 total hikes, 395.5 miles, 82,829 elevation gain.

First year I've averaged more than a hike a week so was a pretty good year in that respect.

Also did 278 other non hiking outings (biking, kayaking, running -- mostly neighborhood runs) for an additional 1130 miles.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » January 2nd, 2022, 5:10 pm

Three. :lol:

wildcat

Post by wildcat » January 2nd, 2022, 7:21 pm

^--- Yeah.....that.

I think I maybe managed about 10? miles of actual hiking last year, if that. Contrast that to the 2205.3 miles logged on the bike. My legs are almost ripped. Seriously, my thighs and calves did have some reasonable muscle definition at this point in 2021 but not like now. Last summer was awesome.

Just too bad I didn't get into the mountains/hills more. Well, it's not like they're going away anytime soon, either....
Life in Chacos
nwhikers.net: thewildcat

Aimless

Post by Aimless » January 2nd, 2022, 8:28 pm

Looking at my records, between hiking on forest trails and long day hikes on the beach, I'd say I hiked about 300 miles in 2021, with about another 700 miles on daily walks in my neighborhood parks and streets. That seems to be about an average year for me over the past decade or so.

aaburles

Post by aaburles » January 3rd, 2022, 9:08 am

2021 was a very good year for spending lots of time in the woods. Looking forward to an even better 2022.
Attachments
Capture12.JPG

bobcat

Post by bobcat » January 4th, 2022, 9:51 am

I don’t keep track of miles or EG, but I could divide my excursions into three types, with a little overlap of each:

1) Field Guide hikes. These I mostly do alone, taking photos and notes, in the constant quest for new entries to the FG. The project/hobby takes me to all corners of Oregon and southwest Washington and usually involves several multi-day trips a year. An adjunct to this project is an attempt to hike all the trails being reopened after recent fires.

2) Social hikes. Basically this means getting together with friends and hiking a well-trodden, often popular route, usually on a weekend. The people I usually hike with do not participate in these Forums although they do make use of the Field Guide.

3) Portland area walks. This is my wife’s favorite pastime, and we explore the entire Metro area, always delighted to find something new.

My 2021 hiking zone/travels extended from Mt. Baker, Washington, to Mt. Shasta, California, including 34 of Oregon’s 36 counties.

My favorite three hikes of the year were (1) a backpack exploring the cirque lakes around the Main Eagle valley in the Wallowas; (2) finally doing the Whittier Ridge loop in the Mt. Margaret Backcountry (too long a drive for a day hike and being permit averse, I camped at Green River Horse Camp); (3) finally getting to Angora Peak, in the Coast Range.

My best trip was a week-long outing to the Owyhee in May. I hadn’t hiked there in a couple of decades and had never been there in the spring.

Brand new trails included the system developed on the Mt Hood Meadows concession, trail connectors off the Tarbell in the Yacolt Burn, and routes in a few new parks around the Metro area.

I only fell off one log.