Wilderness permit boxes on Larch Mtn

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
squidvicious

Wilderness permit boxes on Larch Mtn

Post by squidvicious » October 15th, 2021, 3:56 pm

Was up there this week and noticed a wilderness permit box had appeared at the junction of Larch Mtn Trail and Multnomah Creek Way. There was another on Bell Creek Trail at the junction with Oneonta, though that's still closed.

Haven't been that way in a couple months, so I'm not sure how new those are. Poked my nose into the one on Larch but it was empty.

Chip Down

Re: Wilderness permit boxes on Larch Mtn

Post by Chip Down » October 15th, 2021, 5:32 pm

squidvicious wrote:
October 15th, 2021, 3:56 pm
Poked my nose into the one on Larch but it was empty.
Yeah, nobody ever fills those things out. ;)
Anyway, I didn't know (or had forgotten) that there's wilderness on Larch. I mean, cripes, there's a paved parking lot at the top.

Walkin' Fool

Post by Walkin' Fool » October 17th, 2021, 2:05 pm

There's another new on the Larch Mt Trail near the junction w/Multnomah Basin Rd. That was also empty last weekend.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » October 17th, 2021, 4:11 pm

The Hatfield Wilderness boundary was extended some years ago, but the wilderness boxes were slow to be installed. The first thing I had noticed was the wilderness sign on Eagle Creek Trail had actually been moved up the trail about 1/10th of a mile when the wilderness boundary changed, not down the trail as one might suspect. (This was a pre-fire change)

naturallog

Post by naturallog » October 17th, 2021, 5:23 pm

The boxes went up this season, within the last two months. The only one I've seen in person is the one on Herman Creek, and I don't think they got to stocking them with permits this year.

Re: the size of the Mark O., I like scooting around the maps wilderness.net has of our wilderness areas: https://umontana.maps.arcgis.com/apps/w ... Wilderness