2021 Fall colors thread

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Webfoot

Re: 2021 Fall colors thread

Post by Webfoot » October 21st, 2021, 7:57 pm

From local roads, as mentioned.

I think I've got an issue with my color management. Tell me if these look OK or too dark and saturated.

9355.jpg
9412.jpg
9422.jpg

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » October 22nd, 2021, 11:20 am

I'll bite that troll bait!

Too dark and not saturated enough. It sounds like you have done some "post-processing" already, but I took your images and played with them.

I always feel what my camera delivers lacks the vibrancy my eye sees. So some post processing seems necessary to get an image to reflect what I want to post. But that said, I used to spend a lot of time in Photo Shop without ever getting the image to what I wanted. It occurred to me I'd rather spend the Photo Shop time outside wandering with my camera than trying to tweak the dynamic curve just right. And splitting images, tweaking the parts, and then recombining is just too fussy and beyond me.

So 80% of the photos I post here have been run thru "Auto Correct" of the Microsoft Office 2010 photo viewer--the other 20% are untouched. I also have the default Windows 10 photo viewer "Photos", which has slide adjusters for light and color and can handle .crv files, which is useful in special circumstances. My version of Photo Shop won't play on my 64 bit machine, so that's a thing of the past, which saves me some time.

9355.jpg
Original file as posted.
9355.v2.jpg
v.2 "Photos" with Light +10 and Color +20
9355.v3.jpg
v.3 Previous (v.2) opened in Office 2010 with Auto Correct applied.
Now not having seen the actual scene I don't know which version is most realistic, but having yellow foliage in full sun with the road shaded makes me think 9355.v3 is the closest to what my eye would have seen.

9422.jpg
Original file as posted.
9422.v2.jpg
v.2 Auto Correct in Office 2010 applied
9422.v3.jpg
v.3 Photos with Light +20 and Color +30
9422.v4.jpg
v.4 Previous image (v.3) with Auto Correct in Office 2010 applied.
This one is harder for me. I don't like that the sky detail is washed out in versions 2 and 4. While version 3 preserves the sky detail, the yellow foliage doesn't seem vibrant enough. If the sky was important to my story, I'd go with v.3.

Well, that's my opinion. Let your story dictate.

BurnsideBob
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 22nd, 2021, 2:32 pm

Thank you. What about my post was troll bait?

I am using a wide gamut (DCI P3) monitor at about 200 nits for editing, then converting to sRGB for posting. I use something close to sRGB at 100 nits for web browsing but my monitor doesn't have true sRGB emulation as I can only select gamma 2.2 rather than the more complex curve sRGB specifies, and I don't think the gamut is exact either.

In browsing mode my images appear too dark. This may be due mostly to the backlight level (200 vs 100 nits) but I think the gamma isn't being converted correctly. If I apply a gamma lift only they appear to shift toward a lemon yellow and not the golden yellow I remember and edit for. I have to shift hue toward red for it to feel right, and adding saturation helps too. I don't know why these adjustments are needed as I think profile conversion done correctly with perceptual rendering intent should handle this automatically.

Here is a tweaked version with these changes. How does it look?

9412 adjusted.jpg

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » October 22nd, 2021, 9:00 pm

Webfoot wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 2:32 pm
Thank you. What about my post was troll bait?

Here is a tweaked version with these changes. How does it look?

9412 adjusted.jpg
Hi Webfoot.

I like your adjusted version.

By 'trolling', I was referring to your request for feedback but was not implying malicious intent. There are some accomplished photographers on this board and they could provide more sophisticated feed back, should they choose to respond. My choices of post processing software would be a joke to them.

To return to this thread's theme of Fall Colors 2021, I did shoot around my back yard between showers. The sky was high overcast so light levels were fairly high, but shadows were not cast, and dynamic range was low. I had my camera set to "landscape" mode. All shots handheld. No shots cropped. Some images "enhanced" with "Auto Correct" in Microsoft Office 2010 (photos 2, 4, 5, 7, & 8).

IMG_6350.JPG
Winged Euonymous, aka Burning Bush
IMG_6352.JPG
Blue Berry, Cultivar 1
IMG_6353.JPG
Blue Berry, Cultivar 2
IMG_6355.JPG
Oregon Ash, Cauliflower in foreground.
IMG_6358.JPG
Vine Maple 1
IMG_6361.JPG
Vine Maple 2
IMG_6363.JPG
Big Leaf Maple
IMG_6365.JPG
Stump with last summer's rock finds.
IMG_6370.JPG
Sugar Maple 1
IMG_6371.JPG
Sugar Maple 2
IMG_6372.JPG
Norway Maple

Keeping it colorful.

BurnsideBob

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 23rd, 2021, 3:42 pm

Webfoot wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 7:57 pm
From local roads, as mentioned.

I think I've got an issue with my color management. Tell me if these look OK or too dark and saturated.
I think your photos are great, but to fine tune them maybe a touch more exposure but not too much because you don't want to lose the shade.

Often if find there is a brightness shift between my photos when I work in them in Lightroom vs when I post them on FB and other forums. They seem to dull down and if I think it matters I'll bump it up maybe a half stop in Lightroom or Photoshop.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » November 2nd, 2021, 8:06 am

The larches in the Badger Creek Wilderness were still going on October 30, although they are past peak and dropping needles now

View from Lookout Mountain:

Larches along Road 4410:

BurnsideBob

Out my back door.

Post by BurnsideBob » November 6th, 2021, 2:39 pm

Somewhere between Amanita pantherina and Amanita muscaria. These are beneath a row of young Cedrus deodara--hoping they'll appear every year!

20211105_111625 (2).jpg

20211105_111644.jpg