Triple Falls bridge replaced Oct. 7th

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Don Nelsen

Triple Falls bridge replaced Oct. 7th

Post by Don Nelsen » October 8th, 2021, 10:27 am

With my friend Matt, I spent Thursday exploring off-trail on the north side of Larch Mt. As we wandered through the woods, a huge twin rotor helicopter passed directly over us a dozen times or so and we wondered what the heck was going on.

Finished with our explorations, we drove up to the summit to see if we could find out what the deal was. We got there just in time to see the machine take off. What a treat! Matt spent his career as an engineer at Boeing so knew this particular helicopter very well but had never seen one in action up so close. Neither had I and it was quite the sight. It was revving up to take off and the wind blast was so strong we couldn't get much closer than a 100 feet away, not that we wanted to be any closer!

Some of the support crew remained in the landing area and we found out from them that they had replaced the Triple Falls bridge. I think my next gorge hike will be to go up there and see what it looks like.

Video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCvSxufG5ro
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Waffle Stomper

Re: Triple Falls bridge replaced Oct. 7th

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 8th, 2021, 12:00 pm

How cool to see. I saw several fly by my home last year, quite low. At least I think they were the same, but military. Gave me chills.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » October 8th, 2021, 1:03 pm

I'm really glad you posted this! I heard an especially loud helicopter yesterday, though I wasn't able to spot it. I thought it sounded like some sort of heavy-lift operation, like I haven't heard since they replaced the Eagle Creek bridge. Kind of chuckled to myself about them doing that one again. Turns out it wasn't far from the truth!

Bummed though b/c I had thought to go up Larch yesterday but had other obligations.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 8th, 2021, 2:13 pm

I was driving on highway 22 past Detroit towards Salem

They stopped traffic for 15 minutes while one of those helicopters moved logs around

That was pretty cool. I should have taken picture

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » October 15th, 2021, 4:01 pm

Is this trail open yet? If not, could someone post when it is?
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir