an unpleasant encounter with mountain bikers (not what you think!)

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

an unpleasant encounter with mountain bikers (not what you think!)

Post by Chip Down » October 2nd, 2021, 7:37 pm

I bet you're expecting some sort of disagreement about who has right of way, or where bikes are allowed. Nope. Far stranger than that.

I started near Ape Canyon trailhead on MSH, rode up to Plains of Abraham, to a point where I wanted to do some offtrail exploring to the east. Walked my bike a ways away from the trail and hid it fairly well under a tree. Went exploring.

As I was headed up a peak known to some as Big Pumice Butte, I happened to notice three bikes headed my way, essentially following my route, except they were riding. I thought it was poor form to ride offtrail in POA, but whatever, I wouldn't dream of chastising them (besides, they were too far off). As they drew closer, I thought maybe they were trying to get my attention (a "hey" and a whistle). But I wasn't sure, and I didn't particularly want to engage in conversation at such a distance. They drew even closer, and then I could hear them clearly asking where I was going. I turned and gave a big shrug, as if to say "randomly exploring". They asked if I had a permit. I shouted no. That was a mistake. They said they had waited ten years for their permit, and they objected to me wandering around on a whim. I continued. They objected some more. I had nothing more to say. They informed me I'm an asshole, and some other stuff, I didn't hear it all.

I found it odd that they thought I would come back down with tail tucked. I also found it odd that they found my presence so disturbing. It's not as if I poached their reserved campsite. Their enjoyment of the scenery was the same either way. And of course I found it odd that they believed a permit is necessary there. I've never seen any restrictions on the peaks east of POA. And I wasn't above 4800', nor did I give any indication I intended to go above 4800'. To my surprise, I now realize I did eventually end up just a smidge above 4800', but that's really not relevant to the encounter. (Incidentally, all the permit descriptions I've read say that you need a permit above 4800' on the volcano, with no mention of satellite peaks.)

I never saw them again, so I don't know where they ended up exploring. I was really dreading going back to retrieve my bike at the end of my loop. When I got to the little valley where it was stashed, and where they were shouting at me, there were three solo-size tents very close to my bike, so they must have been somewhere in proximity. I grabbed my bike as quietly and quickly as I reasonably could, and was relieved to get back to Loowit Trail.

johnspeth

Re: an unpleasant encounter with mountain bikers (not what you think!)

Post by johnspeth » October 3rd, 2021, 9:31 am

This biker group seems to have a total misunderstanding of permits on MSH. The "ten years" claim is evidence.

Charley

Post by Charley » October 3rd, 2021, 10:07 am

That is one weird encounter. These people have no clue.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » October 3rd, 2021, 1:22 pm

I always have to sit back, read and smile when I read your "encounter" reports, Chip. You find more ways to get cited and warned than anyone I know, even in name only :) Being scolded by bicyclists is quite an achievement. I don't mean of this to be critical, it just makes me chuckle because it seems to happen so often.

I was pleased to announce that on the Eightmile Creek Loop yesterday, we encountered perhaps 50 cyclists and every one of them was friendly. Even my hiking partner commented on how everyone was so friendly. I can't say I've ever been scolded by a cyclist, but there were no bombers trying to run us down. Everyone was so courteous...and I don't think it had anything to do with the only other walker we say was carrying a gun (hunting season, you know).

I did find it funny, however, that a couple of cyclists mentioned how nice it was to have an ebike on the hills in spite of the brand-new still shiny signage that marked the junctions (for a change) and prohibited ebikes. I'm not sure if the prohibition was a fire danger issue or a speed issue, or what, since the last time I used my so-called mountain bike was sometime in the late 20th century. Other than it replacing the need to pedal when you're tired, I don't know anything about them.

Anyway, look forward to reading about your next "encounter." :)

wildcat

Post by wildcat » October 3rd, 2021, 6:12 pm

Probably roadies from Portland. Native-born Vancouver street/offroad mountain bike riders (usually) aren't such assholes. Were they in spandex? :lol: :twisted:
Life in Chacos
nwhikers.net: thewildcat

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 4th, 2021, 8:47 am

So I'm just curious about the permit. Isn't that a climbing/wilderness permit. Would bikes even be allowed in an area where a permit is required.

Inquiring minds need to know. :?:
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

venturi95

Post by venturi95 » November 13th, 2021, 9:05 am

wildcat wrote:
October 3rd, 2021, 6:12 pm
Probably roadies from Portland. Native-born Vancouver street/offroad mountain bike riders (usually) aren't such assholes. Were they in spandex? :lol: :twisted:
Jeez, I just dropped in here to get some info, and I happened upon this. I got news for you, many of your mountain bike bros are HUGE a-holes. But I'm old, I left the bike industry as career before you were out of diapers.
Also, what type of shorts would you like to see me wearing? If you think about men in shorts I have some great news for you!