Cutleaf evergreen blackberry

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
bobcat

Re: Cutleaf evergreen blackberry

Post by bobcat » September 29th, 2021, 5:24 pm

Webfoot wrote:
September 28th, 2021, 11:40 am
The laciniatus thorns did not want to let go, and due to the growth pattern of the side canes trying to move backward to release the hooks drove other hooks in from another direction.
Oh, I bow in humble trepidation to the disfiguring powers of your laciniatus. Suffice to say, only a veritable suit of armor, carburized in a reputable forge, would provoke me into venturing into such a thicket. I have noted the dreaded laciniatus often but have never enjoyed the opportunity, shall we say, to become more closely acquainted. Leucodermis remains the bane of my venturing, especially in this apocalyptic age of post-inferno bushwhacking.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 29th, 2021, 6:04 pm

bobcat wrote:
September 29th, 2021, 5:24 pm
Webfoot wrote:
September 28th, 2021, 11:40 am
The laciniatus thorns did not want to let go, and due to the growth pattern of the side canes trying to move backward to release the hooks drove other hooks in from another direction.
Oh, I bow in humble trepidation to the disfiguring powers of your laciniatus. Suffice to say, only a veritable suit of armor, carburized in a reputable forge, would provoke me into venturing into such a thicket. I have noted the dreaded laciniatus often but have never enjoyed the opportunity, shall we way, to become more closely acquainted. Leucodermis remains the bane of my venturing, especially in this apocalyptic age of post-inferno bushwhacking.
Bobcat,

Brilliant, Shakespeare himself would be proud!

I too have ventured into the infernal thorns and paid a price for my indiscretion.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » September 29th, 2021, 8:01 pm

*slow clap*

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 30th, 2021, 5:52 pm

I was going to compose some iambic pentameter verse about this thorny vine, just for fun. I made a list of key words from Webfoot's OP, and started assembling them to follow the iambic pentameter pattern, but then I googled iambic pentameter to refresh my memory on the metrical structure, and encountered the comic below, and laughed so hard I lost my concentration, and gave up on my task.
I blame the alcohol. :mrgreen:

Anyway, maybe a good first line would be something like this:
Up north, the tangled cutleaf snared our Webfoot
Attachments
iambic_pentameter.jpg

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 1st, 2021, 5:39 am

googling Iambic parameter I see the same cartoon

also:

10 syllables alternating unstressed and stressed

so, I believe Webfoot will have to change his name to just Web

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 1st, 2021, 4:25 pm

retired jerry wrote:
October 1st, 2021, 5:39 am
I believe Webfoot will have to change his name to just Web
Or Chip could lay off the sauce and get the metre right. :geek:

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 1st, 2021, 4:50 pm

I insist that any poetry about me be written in iambic tetrameter with rhyming couplets.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 2nd, 2021, 5:54 am

now I'm going to have to google rhyming couplets :)

"Double, double, toil and trouble; Fire burn and cauldron bubble"

ahhh...

querulous

Post by querulous » October 4th, 2021, 10:14 am

laciniatus is bad stuff, for sure. I have seen it on the Queets in Olympic NP. As other posters have noted, himalayan blackberry is much more widespread. I do not have a good sense of its niche, vis-a-vis himalayan.

I do a fair amount of off-trail woods roaming. there is no native plant which can stop me visiting an area, although of course e.g. devils club and vine maple thickets are better skirted than pushed through. But himalayan blackberry can absolutely stop me from taking certain routes. It's such a fierce plant. Not a problem on most federal lands, but lower-elevation areas like Sauvie Island, Forest Park, the tualatin ridge, it is. Sometimes I fantasize about forcing Luther Burbank to run naked through a patch of the stuff (he is reputed to be the "discoverer" and promoter of himalayan blackberry)

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 4th, 2021, 5:11 pm

querulous wrote:
October 4th, 2021, 10:14 am
Sometimes I fantasize about forcing Luther Burbank to run naked through a patch of the stuff (he is reputed to be the "discoverer" and promoter of himalayan blackberry)
Maybe someone could write a poem. :lol: