Cutleaf evergreen blackberry

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Webfoot

Cutleaf evergreen blackberry

Post by Webfoot » September 27th, 2021, 12:10 pm

On a recent hike west of MSH I tangled with the worst thornbush I have ever encountered in the Pacific Northwest. Himalayan blackberry and devil's club can be quite unpleasant, but this one has them beat by a mile. These thorns were hooked backward and grabbed as I brushed past, longer and more curved than any Himalayan blackberry, and dug in more with every move I made. Even working carefully it was difficult to extricate myself.

I identified the plant as cutleaf evergreen blackberry, Rubus laciniatus. It is described as an invasive with similar wording to Himalayan blackberry, with no specific warning about its long and highly tenacious thorns. I think a stumble into a deep bramble of this stuff wearing only a tee shirt and shorts would carry a genuine risk of great bodily harm. Fortunately I only tangled with a single plant growing among other blackberries of a benign variety.

According to a USDA invasive plant guide it grows all over western Oregon and Washington. I must have seen it before but I never got snared until now. Avoid it unless you know what you're doing. It is no joke.

Rubus_laciniatus_5087.jpg
RULA.png

adamschneider

Re: Cutleaf evergreen blackberry

Post by adamschneider » September 27th, 2021, 12:34 pm

I've definitely seen them around, but they're much less common than the ubiquitous Armenian blackberries. I don't think the thorns are ALWAYS quite so "hooked." (Or maybe the pure-bred ones have nastier thorns and I've mostly encountered hybrids?)

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 27th, 2021, 12:48 pm

I ran into these in a State Park on the Oregon Coast. I was surprised that they were there after learning that it was invasive.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

BigBear

Post by BigBear » September 27th, 2021, 5:17 pm

It's nasty stuff alright, the thorns go right through work gloves.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » September 28th, 2021, 8:49 am

Yes, those are some vicious looking hooks in the photo. I see this one frequently in cities or near farmland, very rarely in national forest land.

The native species that is on my "Enemies" list is blackcap raspberry (Rubus leucodermis), which tends to colonize abandoned trails and roads and powerline corridors. It's become common in areas of crown fire in the Gorge. It also has hooked thorns and the canes are stiff and unforgiving. The lacerations form pretty (and bloody) patterns on the legs and arms of anyone not sheathed in leather. Luckily, it's distinctive enough that if you keep a sharp eye out, you can usually avoid it.

Blackcap vine, Gorge Trail.jpg
Blackcap, Tamanawas Falls.jpg

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » September 28th, 2021, 11:40 am

What you describe from leucodermis I would have considered a bad encounter prior to last week. However even thorns that left me bleeding—left me. The laciniatus thorns did not want to let go, and due to the growth pattern of the side canes trying to move backward to release the hooks drove other hooks in from another direction. Look at the small hooks in the middle of the attached photo and I think you'll understand.

Nevertheless I'll be careful of leucodermis too. Are those blackcaps as tasty as they are pretty?

Rubus_laciniatus_7423.jpg

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 28th, 2021, 12:44 pm

Webfoot wrote:
September 28th, 2021, 11:40 am
Are those blackcaps as tasty as they are pretty?
Yup, them's good eatin'. Not nearly as prolific as the invasive blackberries though.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 29th, 2021, 5:36 am

Webfoot wrote:
September 27th, 2021, 12:10 pm
These thorns were hooked backward and grabbed as I brushed past, longer and more curved than any Himalayan blackberry, and dug in more with every move I made. Even working carefully it was difficult to extricate myself.
That made me smile, not because I derive mirth from your misfortune, but because it's written in a style I find reminiscent of 19th century explorers.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » September 29th, 2021, 7:59 am

That wasn't my intent Chip, but I've always been a bit old fashioned so I suppose it fits.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » September 29th, 2021, 9:22 am

Would these pants work or would thorns like that go right through them?

https://danshuntinggear.com/pants-upland-briar.html

https://gamehide.com/product/heavy-duty ... -pant-12t/