Catalytic Converter stolen at Hantwick TH (Lucia/Moulton)

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
mjirving

Re: Catalytic Converter stolen at Hantwick TH (Lucia/Moulton)

Post by mjirving » August 6th, 2021, 2:26 pm

That sucks. That’s usually the riskiest part of hiking. I thought Limey beat me to to the “electrify” comment but that was for the purpose of shocking. Haha. I was going to suggest a different route. Electrify with an EV as they don’t have those parts or any of the other parts that need service or repair on gas cars…and are way cheaper to power. But yeah, if you’ve got a good car that’s already bought, it’s a tough outlay for something new. Good luck…hope the insurance path works well!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 6th, 2021, 3:18 pm

Too bad there are people that would buy a stolen catalytic converter

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 7th, 2021, 5:48 am

Last month the Siskiyou Mountain Club posted on Facebook about how a volunteer trail crew had their vehicles severely vandalized. Out of all the things I could imagine happening to my vehicle while I'm on a hike, having the tires stolen was not one of them.
vandalizedtruck.jpeg

mjirving

Post by mjirving » August 7th, 2021, 5:58 am

Brutal.

I was at my 20-year high school reunion in Corvallis several years ago and came out late to see my car gone. It was raining and the pavement was still dry where it had been parked. It was recovered in perfect shape 3 weeks later in an apartment community across town. The only thing wrong was a cut-off catalytic converter. Fortunately, my work laptop with lo-jack on it was in there and passed down through multiple criminals. That allowed police to track and arrest 3 different sets of criminals for various nefarious activities including prostitution. That was some nice payback. Oh…I took a hike while I was there too…gotta stay on-topic. 😉

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 8th, 2021, 9:52 am

mjirving wrote:
August 7th, 2021, 5:58 am
Fortunately, my work laptop with lo-jack on it was in there and passed down through multiple criminals. That allowed police to track and arrest 3 different sets of criminals for various nefarious activities including prostitution. That was some nice payback.
That's crappy that happened, but wow that is some fantastic payback! :D

Charley

Post by Charley » August 13th, 2021, 11:01 am

Chip Down wrote:
August 6th, 2021, 11:24 am
Funny, when I think of all the crime I've endured in my life, I think it's been entirely automotive stuff. Theft, vandalism, break-ins, etc.
I've often thought about how parked, unattended cars are just sitting ducks. They're outside, unwatched, and inviting targets, both in terms of theft and vandalism, as well as government regulation.

Trailhead parking regulations, permits, and fees are the lowest-hanging-fruit of land managers, because it's easier to send someone around to trailheads and check vehicles than it is to actually patrol trails and put out fires, maintain toilets, prevent meadow camping, etc. It's easier, but I often wonder if it attains the stated goals (i.e., ecological protection is the text, fundraising is the subtext).
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Water

Post by Water » August 13th, 2021, 1:16 pm

Charley,

Fish in a barrel.. and no of course not. permits from rec.gov will save nature, sure, yup. Wow, who knew technology would save nature. It's as myopic of a response to demand in use and cultural attitudes about use, doing nothing would almost be better than the rigmarole and effort of this online permits and parking permits crap thinking you're actually addressing the issue.

And sorry for the thread drift and for this type of crap getting even worse at trailheads. knock on wood nothing bad has happened to my vehicles.

FLREA..
(f) Standard amenity recreation fee
Except as limited by subsection (d), the Secretary may charge a standard amenity recreation fee for Federal recreational lands and waters under the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Land Management, the Bureau of Reclamation, or the Forest Service, but only at the following:
(1) A National Conservation Area.
(2) A National Volcanic Monument.
(3) A destination visitor or interpretive center that provides a broad range of interpretive services, programs, and media.
(4) An area—
(A) that provides significant opportunities for outdoor recreation;
(B) that has substantial Federal investments;
(C) where fees can be efficiently collected; and
(D) that contains all of the following amenities:
(i) Designated developed parking.
(ii) A permanent toilet facility.
(iii) A permanent trash receptacle.
(iv) Interpretive sign, exhibit, or kiosk.
(v) Picnic tables.
(vi) Security services.
Feel Free to Feel Free