Bear on Archer Mt.

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Don Nelsen

Bear on Archer Mt.

Post by Don Nelsen » July 29th, 2021, 4:53 pm

This was only a short hike to the summit of Archer in familiar territory so no TR. However, I finally got a good photo of an adult bear so I thought it noteworthy.

I was standing still momentarily after climbing a few hundred vertical feet (in 85 degree heat) so not making any noise. I heard something big breaking branches in the forest very close by in front of me. I got my phone camera ready just in case it was a sasquatch, or at least a big elk or deer.

Less than 50 feet away, an adult bear raised his head above the ferns and looked straight at me. I got one pic off and he quickly bolted away, giving me a good side shot too.

That's six bear sightings in less than a month. Lucky me!
IMG_3138.JPG
IMG_3139.JPG
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Re: Bear on Archer Mt.

Post by retired jerry » July 29th, 2021, 5:42 pm

Wow! Nice work. You have to be quick with your camera to get good bear picture

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 29th, 2021, 6:16 pm

Getting a bear pic is easy. But 99.9% of them are butt shots. Most people are skeptical, but it really is true: they're more scared of us than we are of them. Much like bees, if you know what to do, you're almost certainly going to be fine. Congrats on startling one (you're not supposed to do that). Did you forget your bear bells?

Anyway, you really shouldn't be hiking in this heat. Nobody should be hiking in this heat. There are three acceptable THs to use when it's hot: Timberline, Meadows, Cloudcap. Or go caving.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 29th, 2021, 6:19 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 4:53 pm
That's six bear sightings in less than a month. Lucky me!
I've got my balloons, and Don has his bears. :D

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 30th, 2021, 6:19 am

bear pictures are easy, but you have to point out that little dot to people to tell them that's a bear :)