Mt Hood National Forest Blowdown Update

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
CrazyDayHikers

Mt Hood National Forest Blowdown Update

Post by CrazyDayHikers » July 8th, 2021, 6:50 pm

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to start this thread for updates on the blowdown conditions on trails that were affected by the September 2020 Labor Day windstorm. Are there any updates to share on logged versus non-logged out trails and roads to trailheads?

Thanks!

BigBear

Re: Mt Hood National Forest Blowdown Update

Post by BigBear » July 8th, 2021, 7:06 pm

There are a surprising number of trees on the PCT south of Barlow Pass on July 3rd. This was quite surprising since this is usually a priority trail for USFS. I guess those trailhead fees aren't finding their way to the trails. I also found it surprising that the restroom at the Zig Zag RS is usually closed on the weekends when demand is the highest.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 8th, 2021, 8:51 pm

At least 60 trees lying across the Vista Ridge Trail as of July 5. None is a major obstacle though, because they're not on a steep slope.

CrazyDayHikers

Post by CrazyDayHikers » July 13th, 2021, 1:44 pm

Several trees down on the PCT heading north from Barlow Pass to Timberline Lodge also, but really no obstacles and very much passable. Just a few right at that perfect height to make it not quite clear whether going over or under is easiest (although at 5'3" under it's usually under for me :D).

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 13th, 2021, 3:00 pm

BigBear wrote:
July 8th, 2021, 7:06 pm
I also found it surprising that the restroom at the Zig Zag RS is usually closed on the weekends when demand is the highest.
It was open when we stopped to use it this past Saturday. Were you there early in the morning? I know that because of vandalism it is locked when the ranger station isn't open and I think it's open 8am to 4pm on weekends.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » July 13th, 2021, 5:35 pm

justpeachy: We leave Portland at 8 am so we're probably in ZigZag around 9 am. Yes, this past weekend they were open, but last month the rest rooms were locked on two occasions and the ranger station had a closed sign both times as well as a third time when we didn't bother to even stop.

squeakytree

Post by squeakytree » July 18th, 2021, 4:38 pm

There are a surprising number of trees on the PCT south of Barlow Pass on July 3rd. This was quite surprising since this is usually a priority trail for USFS. I guess those trailhead fees aren't finding their way to the trails.
Unless something has changed, the Hood River Chapter of the PCTA is responsible for maintaining the PCT on the Mt Hood National Forest.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » July 24th, 2021, 5:55 am

Went up to McNeil Point 7/21. Wasn't sure what to expect beyond Bald Mountain, above the cutoff trail, as I'd heard somewhat conflicting things.

There are indeed a lot of trees down for a half mile, 3/4 mile, something like that. But it's well-trod, and where things aren't easy to get over, walk along, or duck under, there is an obvious detour around. A lot of it is more detour than trail, though. The path starts meandering all over the place looking for a clear-ish route, and in a couple places where there's a lot of debris and several braided paths it can be easy to lose the way. Not that you're going to get properly lost, but be prepared to backtrack when you realize your trail is not a trail.

It will slow you down a bit, but not a serious issue. People not familiar with the trail may have a better time if they wait a while to check this one out.
Last edited by squidvicious on July 24th, 2021, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 24th, 2021, 6:02 am

If you're coming from Top Spur to McNeil, I think it's better to take the trail around Bald Mountain rather than going straight from Top Spur to McGee Creek