America The Beautiful Pass

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Betazoid

America The Beautiful Pass

Post by Betazoid » July 3rd, 2021, 1:10 pm

Hello! I recently got the America The Beautiful Pass last month. I know I can visit all national parks in the US with this pass, but I was curious about what your favorite hikes are in Oregon where you can use the America the Beautiful Pass. I want to take full advantage of the pass while I have it (and get it next year if I find that it was worth it by the end of next June). Thanks in advance!

adamschneider

Re: America The Beautiful Pass

Post by adamschneider » July 4th, 2021, 7:28 am

The primary use for the AtB Pass in Oregon is that it works at most trailheads that require a Northwest Forest Pass. (There are a couple of weird exceptions run by concessionaires.)

There are also a few federally-run places that charge admission if you don't have a pass, like Yaquina Head.

jhiker001

Post by jhiker001 » July 4th, 2021, 2:52 pm

A couple years ago I posted a question similar to yours about passes at trailheads parking lots. Many hikers replied stating that the America the Beautiful Pass not only works in National Parks, but it's also valid at many trailheads in Wa and Or. We ended up using ours at Goat Rocks and there were no issues. I plan on using it again at Two Pan Trailhead in Eagle Cap in a couple weeks.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » July 4th, 2021, 3:08 pm

It's good for all federal lands: national parks, national forests, Bureau of Land Management. You can often get 50% off camping fees, etc. Again, some concessionaire-run sites will not accept it (a few day use areas and campgrounds).

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 4th, 2021, 4:07 pm

bobcat wrote:
July 4th, 2021, 3:08 pm
You can often get 50% off camping fees, etc.
I think that's only true for the Senior and Disabled versions.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » June 10th, 2023, 8:11 am

I just purchased an "America The Beautiful" pass. I noticed it can be a sub for a NW Forest pass (see here). Specifically it says "Important: If you have the America the Beautiful Pass, you do not need a Northwest Forest Pass. The America the Beautiful Pass is valid at National Forest sites and includes all the benefits of the Northwest Forest Pass."

That's real nice but how does one prove possession of the AtB pass while out hiking? The NW Forest pass hangs on the car mirror. That's not possible with the credit card sized pass I was given.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » June 10th, 2023, 8:19 am

johnspeth wrote:
June 10th, 2023, 8:11 am
That's real nice but how does one prove possession of the AtB pass while out hiking? The NW Forest pass hangs on the car mirror. That's not possible with the credit card sized pass I was given.
I'll answer my own question because I stumbled upon the answer:

"Q. How do I display my Pass at unstaffed Federal recreation sites?
A. A Pass can either be displayed on your rearview mirror using a free hangtag
or on your dashboard with the signature side showing. A hangtag is only a way
to display your Pass and is not valid unless it holds a Pass."

That was taken from a two page AtB info pamphlet you can read here.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 10th, 2023, 8:35 am

I have one of those

I put the credit card into the plastic holder, but just leave it on the dashboard rather than hanging from the rear view mirror. I put a cover under the windshield to keep sun out of my car. That would prevent someone from seeing a permit hanging from rearview mirror

Once, I got a nasty note on my windshield that I didn't have the NW Forest Pass - they didn't see it directly below, but no ticket or anything

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 10th, 2023, 9:10 am

I've had two of those plastic holders totally melt (curl up) while placed between my windshield and my sun shades on a hot day. They ought to make the holders out of cardboard.

rubiks

Post by rubiks » June 10th, 2023, 6:02 pm

I've had my National Park pass melt while sitting on my dashboard on a hot day. Fortunately it was still flat enough to put back into my wallet, and now I make sure to place it on a flat part of the dash.
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.