big changes on rd27 (from US26 to south Burnt Lake TH)

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

big changes on rd27 (from US26 to south Burnt Lake TH)

Post by Chip Down » July 1st, 2021, 9:56 pm

TLDR: Road 27 has been repaired to support logging operations alongside the road. It's unrecognizable.

Just east of Rhododendron, Road 27 departs US26 and gently climbs to the south TH of the Burnt Lake trail. It's a miserable road, mostly because of a series of persistent mudbogs that span the entire width of the road. In the dry season (probably second week of september), I'm told you can get a Subaru to the trailhead.

Today I drove up the first half mile or so, where the road is paved as it passes cabins, with intentions of parking at the hairpin turn where the pavement ends. From there I would ride my bike up to the TH. I was surprised to find somebody already parked there, with hazards on. Before I started my ride, I heard a lumbering truck coming down the road. I was shocked to see it loaded with logs.

The road wasn't closed, so I started up. I immediately noticed the road was in much better condition than I've ever seen it. Before long, I passed equipment, and heard the violent cacophony of the logging operation. When I arrived at the heart of it, which was just barely off the road, it was quite a sight. It was just a little after sunrise, and it was foggy, so the headlights of the logging equipment dominated the scene, piercing the fog. The sights and sounds were impressive, it can't be denied. It would be beautiful if it weren't so ugly. I wanted to pause and watch, but I felt like an interloper, and I half expected somebody to tell me I had to turn around, so I continued up the road as discreetly as a person possibly can when riding a bike through a logging operation.

As I continued my ascent, the road was smooth, and I encountered several spur roads. I believe some were new, while others were rehabilitated. Perhaps you've had the experience of seeing a new building in your neighborhood, and struggling to remember what was in the space before. That's what it was like riding up that road, constantly wondering which stretches of road used to host the features I remembered. Finally, I reached the end of the equipment zone, and the road was as I remembered it. Only one of the mudbogs still exists, and it's starting to dry out.

At the TH (end of road) I was shocked to see a vehicle. Even more shocked when I saw its tires, not at all suited for a road like this. I happened to run into him when we hit the TH at about the same time (via different trails). I asked if he knew the road had been repaired. Nope, just got lucky.
Attachments
a.jpg
b.jpg
c2.jpg
The sole remaining mudpit. It's deeper and softer than you might guess.

Don Nelsen

Re: big changes on rd27 (from US26 to south Burnt Lake TH)

Post by Don Nelsen » July 8th, 2021, 7:31 am

Thanks for the update on the road. I remember that one very well! Splintercat organized a hike to Devil's Canyon Falls 11 years ago using that road as access. We had some great fun on the hike and the icing on the cake was the drive back out. Here's a video Tom (Splintercat) made. Go to 4:56 for the ride back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2kiayLWkhU

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller