Looking for a backpacking trip for my two daughters

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
schnur07

Looking for a backpacking trip for my two daughters

Post by schnur07 » June 28th, 2021, 8:32 am

Hi, I'm trying to find a relatively easy first backpacking trip for me and my two daughters (age 13 and 15). They are good hikers but we haven't done a backpacking trip. Looking for something less than 5 miles. We live in Salem, OR. I'd love to do something in the Three Sister's Wilderness but I'm open to anything. Hoping to avoid mosquitoes because I don't want a bad first experience for my kids. It's a bit overwhelming trying to research this so any tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks

retired jerry

Re: Looking for a backpacking trip for my two daughters

Post by retired jerry » June 28th, 2021, 9:11 am

north Mattieu Lake would be good. Sort of crowded though. I think you need to get a permit at recreation.gov

Tom of the Woods

Post by Tom of the Woods » June 29th, 2021, 10:53 am

You didn't say what part of summer. No specific suggestions 'cause you're north of my home area, but if you're trying to avoid mosquitoes, I'd suggest hiking the Coast Range and stay clear of the Cascades 'til at least mid August. Usually by the time the mosquitoes are gone, the yellowjackets are starting to be a thing, and they don't go away 'til 2nd or 3rd frost.

We usually do our backpacking in mid-late spring and again toward end of summer or early fall to manage both heat and bugs.
- Tom

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » June 29th, 2021, 11:31 am

Every season has its pros and cons. But if you want the best possible chance for a great experience, then wait until September.

Good first hikes (depending on what is accessible when you go) :

Serene Lake (6 miles one way), or stop at Shellrock Lake (1 mile in) or the smaller lakes along the way. 12 miles for a 2-day loop. Easy road access.

Salmon River - A bajillion riverside campsites along the first 3 mile stretch. Popular in Summer. Easy road access.

Big Slide Lake - Bull of the Woods Wilderness, 12 miles round trip. Access roads currently questionable.

I always recommend the book One Night Wilderness: Portland, by Douglas Loraine. Its a great list of local backpacking one and two-night trips within 3 hours of Portland. It has a table rated by difficulty, season, and mileage and has a map so you can find whatever is close.

jortina

Post by jortina » June 29th, 2021, 3:21 pm

I second the One Night Wilderness book. Very helpful. I would love to hear @Tom of Wood's recommendations on coast hikes, I have not been able to find any that are suitable for kids.

We backpack with my daughters who are 10 and 6, have been for about 3 years. One place we love is the Badger Creek trail near Mt. Hood. I also did a trail report for Little Badger Creek which we did last fall. Along Badger Creek there are a ton a great campsites and it's a very do-able hike for kids. Sadly the closest place we have backpacked to Salem, in the Ollalie Lakes area, was in the fires last year. :(

Report back on what you decide, I'd love to see more TR from people with kids!