2021 Bug Conditions Reports

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Aimless

2021 Bug Conditions Reports

Post by Aimless » June 23rd, 2021, 8:42 pm

This thread is meant for briefly sharing info on the bug conditions you encountered on a hike, if you don't want to go to the trouble of writing up a full trip report. For example:

I hiked today (June 23) on the Hidden Lake trail that starts on Kiwanis Camp Road on Mt. Hood. Mosquitos were present from about 3800 ft up to 5200 ft, but only in modest numbers. I didn't bother to deet up. The (non-biting) flies were more of a nuisance when I sat for any time.

Chip Down

Re: 2021 Bug Conditions Reports

Post by Chip Down » June 23rd, 2021, 10:09 pm

I was poking around the Grassy Knoll / Big Huckleberry neighborhood. Encountered a significant number of mosquitoes, pretty much everywhere. To my knowledge, I didn't get any bites, but we'll see. They seemed a bit lethargic, not aggressive.

AlpenGlowHiker

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » June 24th, 2021, 5:02 am

6/19/21 - On the PCT between FR 88 (GPNF) and Trout Lake Creek; Mosquitos were present and annoying. Had clothes treated with Permethrin, and exposed arms. Received many bites.

drm

Post by drm » June 25th, 2021, 12:50 pm

Spent the night at Soda Peaks Lake (open from FR 54 trailhead now). Mosquitoes are mild during the day but come out at dusk. Will likely get5 much worse in the coming week. The trail is fully melted out but there are some nasty trees down that are not easy to get around/over.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » June 26th, 2021, 9:22 am

Yay for the bug thread!

My brother was at Twin Lakes near Mt. Hood a few days ago and they got run out by clouds of mosquitoes. I recommended heading toward High Prairie instead, and they reported back that there were very few bugs there.

Twin Lakes in the Elkhorns, as of 6/21, no major bug issues to report.
instagram: @remyodyssey

KDfishbiologist

Post by KDfishbiologist » June 28th, 2021, 7:46 am

06/25-06/26:

Backpack from Warren Lake over Mt Defiance to several lakes, overnight at Wahtum Lake and back (Mark O. Hatfield Wilderness/northside Mt Hood NF). Warren Lake was lovely -- very few bugs. The rest of the lakes were really buggy, but Wahtum was the worst. Lots of flies at night in camp. Chased back onto the trail in the morning by the ruthless mosquitos. Clothes were sprayed with permethrin, broke out the deet, and still came home with 20+ bites.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 30th, 2021, 8:43 am

Monday June 27th, Lookout Mt. east of Mt. Hood: No mosquitos, a few biting flies but none of them bit us. Hot, 80 to 85.

Tuesday, June 29th, Snag Creek trail: No bugs at all. Hot, 90-95 or so. Maybe this much heat keeps the bugs at bay?
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 30th, 2021, 9:50 am

My sense is that mosquitoes easily die of dehydration in hot conditions, mainly because their bodies have so much surface area compared to their total weight. On hot days they seek out cool, damp, shaded places to ride out the midday heat. Flies can stand heat much better because they are more bulky and (dare I say) more spherical. ;)

TodF

Riley Camp Tr 64 (Mt Adams)

Post by TodF » July 1st, 2021, 7:13 am

Yesterday (6/30) I went up from the TH on NF23.
No bugs until the junction with the Riley South junction that goes to the PCT, a little below 4500'. The junction area is basically a swamp right now. The mosquitoes weren't bad there, but steadily got more annoying as I ascended on the Riley Camp Tr. I stopped for lunch near Burnt Rock a little below 5400', and the minute I stopped moving I was swarmed by mosquitoes.

Amazingly, between liberal application of Picaridin and use of bug nets, I came away with only a half dozen bites. It wasn't the most relaxing hike I've done, though.

I met a backpacker coming up who said he was hoping to get high enough in the snow to get away from the bugs. I hope he was able to.

drm

Re: Riley Camp Tr 64 (Mt Adams)

Post by drm » July 1st, 2021, 9:41 am

TodF wrote:
July 1st, 2021, 7:13 am
I met a backpacker coming up who said he was hoping to get high enough in the snow to get away from the bugs. I hope he was able to.
That would be me and I did not. I have the gear and the juice (though I forgot my head net) but at some point decided simply to bag it. DEET stinks and I hate slathering it on. A few spritzes is tolerable. These bugs will get fried/dried out soon enough and we will then have two months of snowless and bugless hiking up there. No need to suffer it now. I turned around well below your high point.