Bicycles on gravel road to Grassy Knoll 6-19-21

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Charley

Re: Bicycles on gravel road to Grassy Knoll 6-19-21

Post by Charley » June 28th, 2021, 10:42 am

Chip Down wrote:
June 27th, 2021, 5:41 pm
When I ride on gravel, I listen carefully. I'm vigilant. Although my two little tires make noise, I hope somebody else's four big tires make enough noise to be heard...and I look back often. I pull over if somebody is coming. Know what I've noticed? A lot of people slow to a crawl, even when I'm pulled over. The only logical explanation is they want to minimize dust. Now that's courtesy! I know a lot of people are dicks, but generally I find that motorists are just as kind and generous as I am as a cyclist, and we get along great. :D
This is my experience, too, and it's one of the reasons I enjoy riding gravel roads, specifically! On wider, paved country roads, people often just zoom by like I'm not even a human being.

I don't think most people really believe that they should be able to drive whatever speed they want, with no care, as Big Bear seems to argue. The few people like that on gravel roads are generally men in their 20's, with beer cans flying out the back of a lifted truck. :lol:
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.