Best source for up-to-date trail info in Gorge?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
bunnyslayer

Best source for up-to-date trail info in Gorge?

Post by bunnyslayer » May 15th, 2021, 11:49 am

Central Oregon hiker, and I'd love to do some trips to the Gorge, but I'm having trouble getting current intel. Can someone recommend a good source for this info? Much of what I've been able to find is from last year.

Bosterson

Re: Best source for up-to-date trail info in Gorge?

Post by Bosterson » May 15th, 2021, 11:55 am

What kind of info are you looking for - current conditions (eg, snow), what's still closed from the fire, ....? Closures have not really changed since last year, and all that is on the USFS Gorge website; for snow, check the snow level thread here and that should give you an idea of where the snow line is up there. I would expect intermittent late season compacted snow at the higher elevations of the Gorge through the rest of this month.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 15th, 2021, 12:34 pm

people post trip reports including the gorge, that has current info

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 15th, 2021, 1:04 pm

Trail closures, as noted, have not changed much if any since last summer. Other than that, trip reports here are probably the best source I know, even if they only cover a random selection of hikes. The FS web sites and ranger stations are notorious for lagging far behind when reporting current trail conditions. They are much better on closures and road conditions.

drm

Post by drm » May 18th, 2021, 12:05 pm

Aimless wrote:
May 15th, 2021, 1:04 pm
The FS web sites and ranger stations are notorious for lagging far behind when reporting current trail conditions.
That. I've noticed year that even places that traditionally did a good job are punting. Last I checked neither Rainier nor North Cascades had any trail conditions up yet, and GP is slower than normal too. But if you call the Trout Lake RS, they usually have decent info on snow levels.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » May 19th, 2021, 6:48 am

The Friends of the Gorge seem to be pretty good about keeping their website up-to-date with that information: https://gorgefriends.org/hike-the-gorge ... -hike.html