Mosier plateau trail

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Mvwilkinson84

Mosier plateau trail

Post by Mvwilkinson84 » May 2nd, 2021, 7:45 pm

More and more people are coming to our small town to use our community trail and thus is causing a high traffic situation and the parking is limited. If you cant find parking in the public parking areas DO NOT PARK ON THE EDGE OF THE ROAD AS YOU WILL BE CITED AND TOWED!!!!!! this means no parking whatsoever on the north or south side of hwy 30 east of the bridge. There is signs but apparently no one can read or they just dont listen. Long story short is you will be gone on your hike and come back to no car because we will have it towed at the expense of our local residents and law enforcement agencies. There is also no access point other than at the bridge so quit driving through the neighborhood looking for access points. If this issue continues the city of mosier has agreed to close the trail permanently... follow the signs and follow the rules or there will be no trail use for non locals. This is not a threat this is a promise by our community to keep our community safe..

Aimless

Re: Mosier plateau trail

Post by Aimless » May 2nd, 2021, 8:39 pm

I'm sorry to hear that the town of Mosier has a safety problem with people parking in the wrong places and that the town may have to close access to the Mosier Plateau trail as a result. Good luck with solving this issue. Sadly, only a very tiny number of the people who are causing this problem will ever read what you have written here, not nearly enough to make a real difference. :(

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 2nd, 2021, 9:48 pm

Are the "no parking" signs on the road relatively new? I was last there a couple years ago and I don't think I saw anything that said you couldn't park on the road.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 2nd, 2021, 10:20 pm

adamschneider wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 9:48 pm
Are the "no parking" signs on the road relatively new? I was last there a couple years ago and I don't think I saw anything that said you couldn't park on the road.
A virtual tour courtesy of Google Streetview doesn't show any signs, for what it's worth.

Anyway, I do sympathize with the OP. I keep putting up "Do Not Riot" signs in my city, but they just get ignored. Been going on for about a year now. Quite distressing.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 2nd, 2021, 10:37 pm

Chip Down wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 10:20 pm
A virtual tour courtesy of Google Streetview doesn't show any signs, for what it's worth.
Unfortunately, the Street View imagery is from 2007.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » May 3rd, 2021, 8:53 am

Mvwilkinson84 wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 7:45 pm
we will have it towed at the expense of our local residents and law enforcement agencies.
So the people who park here get a free tow courtesy of the residents of Mosier?
Or should it be "at Owner's expense?"

Covid seems to have increased outdoor recreation across the board, but especially in the Gorge. Hopefully people do a little bit more research and find other places to spread out a bit. There are so many other places to see a waterfall and a few wildflowers.
instagram: @remyodyssey

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 3rd, 2021, 9:10 am

I just checked out the trailhead on my way to Idaho. The NORTH side of the road (across from the trailhead, next to the Mosier Creek Place row houses) is marked with "No parking any time" signs, but the south side (immediately adjacent to the trail) is not marked at all, so there's no way for people to know that parking there is discouraged or prohibited.

I'm not making excuses for people being jerks, just saying they have no way of knowing that they're doing anything wrong.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 3rd, 2021, 11:34 am

Chip Down wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 10:20 pm
Anyway, I do sympathize with the OP. I keep putting up "Do Not Riot" signs in my city, but they just get ignored. Been going on for about a year now. Quite distressing.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 3rd, 2021, 11:38 am

adamschneider wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 9:48 pm
I checked my records. There were no signs in April 2017. There were signs in January of this year. I don't recall the specifics of north/south etc.
Last edited by Webfoot on May 3rd, 2021, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dirtman

Post by dirtman » May 3rd, 2021, 12:15 pm

There is plenty of parking at Rock Creek Beach access.

Has anyone fished East Lake since the oil train fire?