shooting crackdown on WA DNR lands?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
RobFromRedland

Re: shooting crackdown on WA DNR lands?

Post by RobFromRedland » April 25th, 2021, 2:56 pm

justpeachy wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 6:51 am
"No shooting" signs are just another target to be shot at. I agree that they will soon be full of bullet holes.

Land agencies don't seem to have the resources to really address the issue. Before the Riverside Fire shut down that whole area, shooting and its related litter was such a huge problem in the Clackamas River Ranger District that I asked them about it. They said that they had tried closure orders, signs, educational materials, site rehabilitation, blocking access, and law enforcement, but had limited success. There is only one law enforcement officer for 440,000 acres, signs get removed or destroyed, and closing areas just results in displacement: bad behavior moving to another spot on the district.
I agree enforcement is difficult due to staffing but right now they only have 3 roads to patrol (the rest of the district is all closed to access) and I've yet to see ONE enforcement officer up there when I've been up there. I don't see evidence they are even trying to enforce rules. People are shooting all over the place without any regard for safety. Someone is going to get hurt one of these days.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

greenjello85

Re: shooting crackdown on WA DNR lands?

Post by greenjello85 » April 25th, 2021, 3:57 pm

retired jerry wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 7:01 am
maybe they should identify areas where shooting is acceptable
I think this is a really logical idea. There's public infrastructure for hikers, rafters, mountain bikers, and off roaders. Why not target shooters? No it won't stop everyone but it would certainly concentrate most of the shooting.