Who else got their central cascades permit today?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
WiredHiker

Re: Who else got their central cascades permit today?

Post by WiredHiker » April 9th, 2021, 10:23 am

I was able to grab a permit for Obsidian for 4 days in August. Was on at 7 and I think they were gone by 7:05. Have been doing this trip for a few years now and try to do it every year. Glad we were able to get one. As far as the whole permit system goes I am all for it. I have been going to places that require permits to backpack for awhile and it seems to be the best times I have. Going somewhere that you know isn't going to be overrun with people makes it that much better. I see a lot of people saying they aren't going to get permits and such and just hike, but I seem to run into rangers every time I am out. If I am in a permit area they will come up to my camp and ask to see my permit. In my opinion I think most will comply and just hate to see change. This area really needed some sort of gate.

gallione11

Post by gallione11 » April 9th, 2021, 2:12 pm

I don't mind the backpacking ones, but the day use limits are extremely low. Not too mention they we inaccurate about how many would be released on Tuesday. They said 40%, but for the one I got a few permits for, Green Lakes, there were only 16/80 -- so 20%.

Incidentally, I double booked it for Aug 19 and 20th since we're not sure which day we'll be able to head down there yet then, so if they are easily transferable, I'll offer them up here for the day we won't use them. Or at the very least, say when I'm about to cancel it so someone here can maybe grab them.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 9th, 2021, 2:15 pm

I snagged two permits in the Mt Jefferson Wilderness - Pamelia Lake TH in August, and Duffy Lake TH in September.

But finding consecutive days to reserve was difficult, and I was on at 7:02am. By the next day ALL of the day trip permits in some areas for August were gone - all of them.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Aimless

Post by Aimless » April 9th, 2021, 4:11 pm

You can always try to snag a day/overnigt later on, as the rolling release of more permits proceeds, seven days in advance of the openings.

xrp

Post by xrp » April 21st, 2021, 6:08 pm

retired jerry wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 5:04 am
I am fantasizing flaunting this just to make a court case because this is not legal :)
Huh...if you won, you wouldn't abide by your own victory based on your posts about the NWFP. :lol:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 21st, 2021, 7:05 pm

That may seem contradictory that I think the nwfp is legal but the three sisters fees and limited use is not legal :)

I was just at toleak point on Olympic coast. They have limited use. It was nice it wasn't so busy. I can see an argument for limiting number of people so a place isn't over-run.

But I like for people to have the opportunity to see these places. I'm conflicted. They should work harder to manage crowds other than just preventing entry

xrp

Post by xrp » April 21st, 2021, 7:11 pm

retired jerry wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 7:05 pm
That may seem contradictory that I think the nwfp is legal but the three sisters fees and limited use is not legal :)
And the NWFP is legal, if you use the amenities!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 21st, 2021, 7:49 pm

You're almost there - if they provide the amenities :)

aaburles

Post by aaburles » April 22nd, 2021, 5:33 am

Does anyone know what the fine is if you get caught not having a permit?

xrp

Post by xrp » April 22nd, 2021, 5:58 am

retired jerry wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 7:49 pm
You're almost there - if they provide the amenities :)
One more time...here's the judge's statement from Fragosa et al vs USFS:
On April 28 U.S. District Judge Terry J. Hatter Jr. “found that the USFS cannot charge fees to visitors who park their vehicles and head off down the trail without using any developed facilities, such as picnic tables and bathrooms that may be adjacent to the parking area,” the Western Slope No-Fee Coalition (WSNFC) reported just as we were going to press this week.
What this means is you can park, go next to the vault toilet (but not inside), piss on a rock, dig a hole and drop a deuce in the hole. As long as you don't do all that using the vault toilet, you don't have to have NWFP. Then head off on your merry hike.