Free WA Discover Pass from libraries

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
squidvicious

Free WA Discover Pass from libraries

Post by squidvicious » March 30th, 2021, 3:13 pm

I hadn't heard of this before. You can check out a Discover Pass from libraries in Washington for a week at a time. Apparently it started as a pilot program in 2019, and has now expanded with funding to provide at least 2 passes to any library that requests them. In some you get a whole package, with a backpack that includes the pass, binoculars, field guides, and maps. The program is called Check out Washington.

You can go to the library's website and search the catalog for "Check out Washington" to check availability and place a hold if necessary. It's a physical thing, not an epass, so you do have to go to the library to pick up and return it.

Don't live in Washington? You might still be good. Many area libraries have reciprocal card privileges. As a Multnomah County resident, I also hold cards at Camas and Fort Vancouver libraries. The Fort Vancouver site does say reciprocal cards aren't eligible to check out their Experience Pass (for museums and area attractions), but doesn't mention these. Camas doesn't seem to have that info on the website, so you'd need to call and check. But I see Camas has 3 passes, currently with 11 holds. Fort Vancouver has 25, with (I think) 3 currently available for checkout.

I already have an annual pass, and for the convenience will probably just keep buying it, but for someone who just hits one of those trails once or twice a year and is prepared to plan ahead a little, this would really help.

justpeachy

Re: Free WA Discover Pass from libraries

Post by justpeachy » March 31st, 2021, 6:49 am

Washington County libraries let you check out an Oregon State Parks pass through their Cultural Pass program. It is digital, so nothing to pick up and return.
This pass can be used one time per year per adult library card holder. The pass will provide entry of one car and may be used at any of the 25 Oregon State Parks that charge a parking fee. The permit is valid for one day only, and cannot be used for camping or extra vehicle fees.
Some of the Clackamas County libraries have a physical State Parks pass you can check out (the state hasn't yet allowed this pass to go digital in Clackamas like they did in Washington Co.).

squidvicious

Re: Free WA Discover Pass from libraries

Post by squidvicious » March 31st, 2021, 1:49 pm

justpeachy wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 6:49 am
Washington County libraries let you check out an Oregon State Parks pass through their Cultural Pass program. It is digital, so nothing to pick up and return.
The whole Cultural Pass program is shut down now due to covid. But yes, theoretically someday things will return to how they were in the Before Time and that will be an option again.