retired jerry

Re: 2021 Snow Level

Post by retired jerry » March 5th, 2021, 9:00 am

that is a good picture that shows how snow can be difficult to negotiate

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 5th, 2021, 12:24 pm

Cook Hill, Thursday, March 4th:

No snow at all until 1,800' and then only a few avoidable patches for a short distance:

Clear after that to 2,300' with a few intermittent patches then abruptly continuous from 2,400':

18 smallish trees across the route in the first 2.8 miles I hiked but all easily stepped over, under or around.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » March 5th, 2021, 1:13 pm

OneSpeed wrote:
March 5th, 2021, 8:59 am
Attempted a Multnomah-Wahkeena loop on March 4 and decided to turn around just above the bridge on Larch Mountain Trail. Dealing with icy snow in that canyon was bad enough, but when we imagined the descent through the Wahkeena switchbacks
I'm surprised you had problems. I've done that loop every morning this week, until today. The Wahkeena side is almost all melted out--just between the two wooden bridges still gets slick.

The Larch side is iffier by far, but is fine with spikes first thing in the morning when the snow is firmer. Even the switchbacks were mostly tracked out, except the lowest ones (but definitely better to do going uphill! I saw buttslide tracks that didn't look intentional). The change I've seen day to day has been huge, so after the rain and another weekend's worth of hordes descend, it will probably be completely clear next week.

naturallog

Post by naturallog » March 6th, 2021, 2:35 pm

Visited the Old Salmon River trail today, starting at "Trailhead A" (https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... River_Hike) and turning around at the second point where the trail goes a long the road, or about 2 miles in. The trail to this point had intermittent sections of snow, which was well packed on the foot path. The snow appeared more consistent on the road at my turnaround point, but it didn't seem to slow down traffic to the New Salmon River trailhead.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 6th, 2021, 4:48 pm

Wow, Don lucked out on Cook Hill. The previous day, WA side of gorge, I was trudging through exhausting snow starting around 2000 ft, maybe 15 miles to the west.

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » March 7th, 2021, 8:32 am

squidvicious wrote:
March 5th, 2021, 1:13 pm
OneSpeed wrote:
March 5th, 2021, 8:59 am
Attempted a Multnomah-Wahkeena loop on March 4 and decided to turn around just above the bridge on Larch Mountain Trail. Dealing with icy snow in that canyon was bad enough, but when we imagined the descent through the Wahkeena switchbacks
I'm surprised you had problems. I've done that loop every morning this week, until today. The Wahkeena side is almost all melted out--just between the two wooden bridges still gets slick.

The Larch side is iffier by far, but is fine with spikes first thing in the morning when the snow is firmer. Even the switchbacks were mostly tracked out, except the lowest ones (but definitely better to do going uphill! I saw buttslide tracks that didn't look intentional). The change I've seen day to day has been huge, so after the rain and another weekend's worth of hordes descend, it will probably be completely clear next week.
Sounds like maybe we saw the very worst of it, then. I'll probably try again this week and report back. Thanks!

rubiks

Post by rubiks » March 7th, 2021, 11:43 am

Hiked to Indian Point and a little up Nick Eaton on Saturday March 6. Gorton Creek trail had snow patches starting about 1800', snow was continuous above maybe 2400' but not very deep and well packed on the trail. Snow on the Ridge cutoff trail to Nick Eaton was pretty deep throughout, 12+ inches, but a handful of tracks were enough to compact it. We were fine with just boots but offtrail hikers would probably want snowshoes. We checked out Nick Eaton south of Peak 3152 a bit too, but the trail was not broken yet and I didn't have snowshoes so we turned around after maybe half a mile. The rest of Nick Eaton was completely clear below ~2600'.

The exposed stuff was melting fast, I expect it'll continue with this week's sun and warm temps.
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 11th, 2021, 7:13 pm

Encouraged by Don's report on Cook, I tried Augspurger today. I knew it was unlikely, but no harm in trying. I turned back at 2300'. I didn't see any point going higher, as I've been up there in all seasons and conditions. This was just a fun play day. I had other things to do down low, so turned back.

The snow level was pretty abrupt. Probably around 2000-2100 it was bare.

Almost forgot to mention, Dog Mountain is totally bare in the open areas at the top, at least from what I could see from my vantage. It's 500' higher than my turnaround, but gets the afternoon sun.
Attachments
basking.jpg
Nice rest spot. Slightly chilly, but not enough to discourage some lounging. Notice the circled snow up there.
company.jpg
A critter of some sort.
perfect.jpg
I knew, from a previous trip, that I'd find a dry place to sit here.
perfecter.jpg
This pic is for bosterson, who always chides me for drinking my beer too cold. When I saw the serving temp on the can, I scoffed. How am I supposed to comply with such narrow parameters? Well, look at that, I did.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » March 11th, 2021, 10:43 pm

Strong work. You must have been able to taste all the flavors of "black salt destruction," whatever that is. 8-)

At the Holiday Ale Fest (back before the expensiveness to crowds ratio made me stop going), we used to bring hand warmer packets to hold under our taster cups to try to warm all the boozy spiced beers up to an appropriate temperature.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

drm

Post by drm » March 12th, 2021, 5:30 pm

Went up the PCT from Herman, hoping I might make it to Benson Plateau, but didn't even make it to the red rock view. Patches started before 2000' and it was pretty continuous by 2500'. With the warm day I was sinking in up to my knees a few time as I got higher and it was only going to get worse as the day warmed. I wasn't set up for deep snow so always planned to stop before it got too deep. So when I got to some melted out spots where the trail hits the ridge I decided to order lunch and call it. Didn't see a single person above Herman bridge.
p1.jpg
PCT at about 2600'
p2.jpg
melted out spots where trail hits ridge, upper 2s