Oregonian broadcasting popular trails

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Guy

Re: Oregonian broadcasting popular trails

Post by Guy » January 19th, 2021, 9:43 pm

I don't waist any time worrying about this. Since 12/28 I've hiked all the recently reopened trails in the Gorge.
McCord & Elowah on the 28th we made a loop out of it by returning on the old scenic highway trail and saw only about 6 other people starting at 8:00am

Eagle Creek a couple of days later. We started at 7:00am didn't have to deal with anyone passing us on the way in. Yes it was busy on the way out But the price for me was worth it.

Then we hiked Franklin in a 10 mile loop from the Larch Mt Gate and saw only 2 other people.

If you don't like crowds there are plenty of non crowded options but even popular trails can be hiked when they are not overly crowded if you pay attention to your start time & the weather even on weekends.

I'd much rather have it like this than some God awful permit system.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

rubiks

Re: Oregonian broadcasting popular trails

Post by rubiks » January 19th, 2021, 10:19 pm

Guy wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 9:43 pm
I'd much rather have it like this than some God awful permit system.
This is the same conclusion I keep coming back to. In a perfect world I could get a late start on a sunny summer weekend and be able to find a parking spot at any trailhead I wanted. While it may have been that way years or decades ago, the reality is its not that way today.

I'd much rather have to wake up earlier, or hunt for parking and share a trail with hundreds of other hikers, than have to deal with a permit system where I'd have to decide where I want to hike days in advance and pay a fee for the privilege.
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.