Fish creek area fire damage

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
greenjello85

Fish creek area fire damage

Post by greenjello85 » November 18th, 2020, 6:38 pm

https://www.clackamas.us/sheriff/2020-1 ... neSAR.html

There's a search and rescue looking for a missing plane in the fish creek area. The sheriff's office posted some pics on Facebook and the area looks completely burned out. First time I've seen pics up there :cry:

RobFromRedland

Re: Fish creek area fire damage

Post by RobFromRedland » November 19th, 2020, 4:20 pm

The forest Service just posted a Flickr album with some more photos.

Link to album
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » November 19th, 2020, 7:29 pm

RobFromRedland wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Link to album
:shock: I drove up hillockburn the other day and it was mostly a ground fire with occasional crowning up there. I was hoping that would be the case for the rest of it. Can't believe it's burned so completely! Going to be a lot different exploring around after it reopens.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » November 19th, 2020, 10:25 pm

greenjello85 wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 7:29 pm
RobFromRedland wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Link to album
:shock: I drove up hillockburn the other day and it was mostly a ground fire with occasional crowning up there. I was hoping that would be the case for the rest of it. Can't believe it's burned so completely! Going to be a lot different exploring around after it reopens.
The Fish Creek area in particular is going to be VERY different. I hope the trail up to the old lookout survived, but I'm afraid it might be destroyed. Fish Creek Mtn in particular burned VERY hot. I've been able to see it from a distance and most of the burn area is brown, but Fish Creek Mtn is BLACK. The BAER maps support the visual observations.

I think the Clackamas River Trail burned pretty hot too - it will be interesting to see what is left of that as well.

It will be interesting (but sad) to explore the burned areas whenever we can get back in there.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson