I'm Trying to Track Fires/Trails in This Blog Post

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
OneSpeed

I'm Trying to Track Fires/Trails in This Blog Post

Post by OneSpeed » September 17th, 2020, 4:14 pm

Doing what I can here with InciWeb and hiking maps. Would love any feedback or suggestions.

https://paulgerald.com/portland-hikes/w ... ashington/

RobFromRedland

Re: I'm Trying to Track Fires/Trails in This Blog Post

Post by RobFromRedland » September 17th, 2020, 5:08 pm

Paul, I posted quite a few trails you didn't mention - some are from the Riverside fire and some are from the Lionshead Fire - Feel free to add to your list if you want:

https://www.trailadvocate.org/sf-forum/ ... res/#p5136

The list is very long - I think the stuff down near Olallie is going to be destroyed - it looks like that burned pretty intensely. I was very glad to hear that the Cabins survived.

I'm hoping that large swaths of the Riverside fire were mosaic burns and we won't have a moonscape. Time will tell.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Charley

Post by Charley » September 17th, 2020, 7:53 pm

Solid job. Hard news to take about the PCT in the Jefferson Wilderness. I hope it's not a wasteland.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » September 17th, 2020, 10:52 pm

I just threw this together

Map of OSM trails and current 9/17/20 fire perimeters

https://arcg.is/1TmGG0

It’s based on OSM trails, named trails are labeled (poorly and ugly but they are there). If it’s not in OSM it’s not in this map but a number of us have been adding a lot of trails over the years. It’s a snapshot in time, I can run another analysis in a few days if these things keep growing
- Michael

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » September 18th, 2020, 8:42 am

RobFromRedland wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 5:08 pm
Paul, I posted quite a few trails you didn't mention - some are from the Riverside fire and some are from the Lionshead Fire - Feel free to add to your list if you want:

https://www.trailadvocate.org/sf-forum/ ... res/#p5136
Amazing work! I will certainly link to your post from mine, which I am keeping pretty general just to save myself some work ;-).

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » September 18th, 2020, 8:44 am

aiwetir wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 10:52 pm
I just threw this together

Map of OSM trails and current 9/17/20 fire perimeters

https://arcg.is/1TmGG0
Also amazing work here. This is the kind of technology that I was hoping somebody would take advantage of. I just wasn't up for learning it! I will also link to your work from mine.

Thanks!

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » September 18th, 2020, 9:59 am

I’ll be updating the trail data tonight or over the weekend, add roads, will buffer the perimeters to account for some growth or closures, will try to put building footprints and other objects of concern.

Might just change the basemap to OpenStreetMap and not have to do all that, but the highlighted trails I’ll keep
- Michael

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 18th, 2020, 11:18 am

aiwetir wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 9:59 am
Might just change the basemap to OpenStreetMap and not have to do all that, but the highlighted trails I’ll keep
Maybe use the ThunderForest Landscape base layer so the trails stand out better?

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » September 18th, 2020, 5:45 pm

I haven’t looked at that map in while because I’ve never liked it much but it looks like they have improved it a bit.

The idea was to highlight and label the trails within the perimeter but I can use whatever basemap I can get to load.

My coworkers suggested a bunch of changes but I’m thinking simple might be better
- Michael

ghsmith76

Post by ghsmith76 » September 24th, 2020, 7:31 pm

Just got this response from the Megan Selvig, Program Director, Opal Creek Ancient Forest Center:

We received aerial footage this past weekend that shows all of Jawbone Flats, with the exception of cabin 4, has burned in the Beachie Creek fire. We do not yet have photos of what the state of the trail and bridges are, though we do see green trees around Jawbone Flats which gives us hope that much of the ancient forest is still there.
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org