Trapper Creek fire

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
drm

Re: Trapper Creek fire

Post by drm » September 11th, 2020, 7:38 am

bushwhacker wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 4:27 pm
I was thinking of camping in the Indian Heaven Wilderness but this fire seems way to close to risk it.
The shifting to west winds has moved the smoke out east. Here in The Dalles today you cannot see the hills on the other side of the Columbia. Visibility is less than a mile. I guess this is what Portland had the last few days? I saw a smoke forecast that expects the shifting winds to move smoke from California and farther south in Oregon to Washington and the Columbia Basin is going to get it bad. I think most of the Gifford Pinchot is really bad this weekend. Air quality rating here is 425 - hazardous. White Salmon is 452. I can't imagine Indian Heaven will be much better.

xrp

Post by xrp » September 11th, 2020, 7:52 am

retired jerry wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 8:48 am
Probably best to stay out of the forest right now. Oregon, Washington, California.
No one should be out there, regardless. Coronavirus is still ravaging everyone. Cases are still high due to transmission between hikers/backpackers.

Don't kill granny.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » September 11th, 2020, 7:53 am

drm wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 7:38 am
Visibility is less than a mile. I guess this is what Portland had the last few days?
Visibility is about 350 yards this morning in Troutdale.

xrp

Post by xrp » September 11th, 2020, 8:08 am

http://lar.wsu.edu/airpact/gmap/ap5/ap5smoke.html

Almost the entire state of Oregon is red with poor air quality. I've been using this site for a few years now and never seen it this bad.

drm

Post by drm » September 11th, 2020, 9:05 am

The newest map at Inciweb ( https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7171/ ) shows a bit of the fire on the Rim south of Observation Peak. But contrary to the "north and east" descriptions we see, most of the fire is west of Trapper Creek now and I think that as far as hiking areas go, Siouxon will be harder hit than Trapper Creek, since there is little chance the fire will get down into the Trapper Creek canyon. Of course, most of the Big Hollow trail is probably in burn.

xrp

Post by xrp » September 11th, 2020, 12:46 pm

drm wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 9:05 am
The newest map at Inciweb ( https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7171/ ) shows a bit of the fire on the Rim south of Observation Peak. But contrary to the "north and east" descriptions we see, most of the fire is west of Trapper Creek now and I think that as far as hiking areas go, Siouxon will be harder hit than Trapper Creek, since there is little chance the fire will get down into the Trapper Creek canyon. Of course, most of the Big Hollow trail is probably in burn.
According to your link the fire has jumped over Observation Peak!

xrp

Post by xrp » September 11th, 2020, 12:48 pm

Water wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 11:16 am
xrp wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 11:02 am
NIFC.gov has Trapper Creek at 5,900 acres, but it hadn't been updated since last night.

The Oregon fires are massive. The one that just combined at Detroit Lake is 200,000-250,000 acres.

All that area will be GONE.
is this super negative uninformed hyperbolic trolling really necessary? Have you done a full assessment? seen the satellite analysis, or full report from crews? Yes there's lots of loss but to say all the area will be GONE?

I just saw a video of driving through Detroit and yes while there is a lot of structure loss, the entire area isn't GONE, mountain high grocery is unburned though the places next door are. There's still plenty of trees not fired, etc from what I could see in a 1 minute video someone took by driving by. Similar in Mill City, the pizza places and poppa Al's is intact, as is the subway, while other things burned.
Yes, GONE as far as being accessible to humans anytime soon. Think back to the Columbia River Gorge fire of 2017 and how restricted access to the area has been since.

drm

Post by drm » September 11th, 2020, 1:42 pm

The Eagle Creek area is unique in many ways. We have lots of burned areas in national forests around here and they usually open within weeks or months after soaking rains put the fire out. I would bet that Trapper Creek trails around this fire will be open some time in October.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 11th, 2020, 2:36 pm

I just walked through areas on Three Sisters area that had been burned in the last few years. Opened within a year after fire. I think there's a stark beauty in those burned areas. Interesting to see things grow back. Natural.

The Pole Creek area was closed for a couple years after that fire. Now you can walk through it no problem.

Some areas of Eagle Creek area haven't opened in a couple years after fire.

Recreationaly, these fires won't cause long term problems

People's houses are a different story.

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » September 12th, 2020, 7:27 am

You hope that the view from the ground is not a bad as the satellite view. The fire appears to be slowly creeping over the Observation Trail and the Trapper Creek Trail.
trappercreek09122020.jpg