Trapper Creek fire

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
retired jerry

Re: Trapper Creek fire

Post by retired jerry » September 10th, 2020, 8:48 am

Probably best to stay out of the forest right now. Oregon, Washington, California.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 10th, 2020, 9:32 am

squidvicious wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 6:38 pm
Sure that's the same fire? The notes say detected this morning.
Rewriting history. It'd look bad to institute a campfire ban (9/9!) a full week after the fire started, rather than the next day.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Water

Post by Water » September 10th, 2020, 11:16 am

xrp wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 11:02 am
NIFC.gov has Trapper Creek at 5,900 acres, but it hadn't been updated since last night.

The Oregon fires are massive. The one that just combined at Detroit Lake is 200,000-250,000 acres.

All that area will be GONE.
is this super negative uninformed hyperbolic trolling really necessary? Have you done a full assessment? seen the satellite analysis, or full report from crews? Yes there's lots of loss but to say all the area will be GONE?

I just saw a video of driving through Detroit and yes while there is a lot of structure loss, the entire area isn't GONE, mountain high grocery is unburned though the places next door are. There's still plenty of trees not fired, etc from what I could see in a 1 minute video someone took by driving by. Similar in Mill City, the pizza places and poppa Al's is intact, as is the subway, while other things burned.
Feel Free to Feel Free

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » September 10th, 2020, 11:28 am

kepPNW wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 9:32 am
squidvicious wrote:
Rewriting history. It'd look bad to institute a campfire ban (9/9!) a full week after the fire started, rather than the next day.
As a wise person once said,
Water wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 11:16 am
is this super negative uninformed hyperbolic trolling really necessary?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 10th, 2020, 11:52 am

squidvicious wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 11:28 am
kepPNW wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 9:32 am
squidvicious wrote:
As a wise person once said,
Water wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 11:16 am
is this super negative uninformed hyperbolic trolling really necessary?
Really? When it can't be refuted, sarcasm is the best retort?

Look, I wrote to them on 9/7 (when, I believe, inciweb was reporting a 6000-acre fire) asking why the hell they still hadn't even instituted a campfire ban! They wrote back on 9/8 saying they were working on one. On 9/9, yesterday(!), they finally banned campfires. Serious.

You pointed out they not only knew the fire was burning on 9/2, but published that fact to social media. They are now saying the "Date of Origin" is 9/8. Rewriting history!

capture.png
https://twitter.com/GPNF/status/1301258155637329922
capture.jpg
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd801776.pdf
Karl

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » September 10th, 2020, 12:28 pm

No sarcasm at all. I genuinely don't want to read conspiracy theory posts about a forest service cover up.

My post that you're referring to was asking if this Big Hollow fire might in fact be a new and different one from the one I'd seen the week before, since it showed a different discovery date. The forest service has since confirmed that it is a new fire. Hence the different date.

That's not to say that when things calm down and there's a chance for more investigation they won't turn out to be connected in some way, but usually go with the simplest, non-conspiracy related explanation until proven otherwise.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 10th, 2020, 12:55 pm

squidvicious wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 12:28 pm
No sarcasm at all. I genuinely don't want to read conspiracy theory posts about a forest service cover up.
Hmmm, well, it's not much of a theory, really. And I certainly wasn't suggesting a conspiracy. Incompetence could be another explanation, if not a "cover-up," for the facts I highlighted (in absence of more).
squidvicious wrote:
My post that you're referring to was asking if this Big Hollow fire might in fact be a new and different one from the one I'd seen the week before, since it showed a different discovery date. The forest service has since confirmed that it is a new fire. Hence the different date.
Interesting. Where did you see multiple confirmed ignition sources having been published? The words Big Hollow were certainly in use before 9/8.
squidvicious wrote:
That's not to say that when things calm down and there's a chance for more investigation they won't turn out to be connected in some way, but usually go with the simplest, non-conspiracy related explanation until proven otherwise.
I would as well! And I have been paying attention, believe me. (I know folks in the path of that one.) If they've said there were multiple fires started on different dates, that subsequently combined, I missed that, and stand corrected!
Karl

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 10th, 2020, 1:47 pm

the fog of war

in a crisis information gets screwed up initially, whatever...

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » September 10th, 2020, 4:27 pm

Here's a map of the closure area. I like Jerry's idea of just avoiding the entire area for a few days. I was thinking of camping in the Indian Heaven Wilderness but this fire seems way to close to risk it.
trappercreekfireclosure09092020.jpg
There just happens to be a RAWS monitoring site near there. As of 4:30pm 9/10 it shows 86 degrees with 15% humidity and a 10 mph wind. 86 degrees and 15% humidity is bad news. Hopefully that will change.
bighollowfire.jpg

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 10th, 2020, 10:54 pm

bushwhacker wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 4:27 pm
I was thinking of camping in the Indian Heaven Wilderness but this fire seems way to close to risk it.
Yeah, I can't even imagine it being pleasant at all, what with the tossing and turning all night, dreaming of fire, wondering if you'll be able to get out in the morning. I'm actually leery of even a day hike right now. I guess Mt Baker would be safe...maybe :|