Hiking plans during the COVID crisis

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Charley

Re: Hiking plans during the COVID crisis

Post by Charley » August 6th, 2020, 12:15 am

Oh, I also let my Mazama membership lapse, and I'm not planning on any private technical climbs, either. Not for me this year. :(
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 6th, 2020, 6:06 am

That all is really sad. So many people are financially screwed, others being paid the same as normal.

Normally, I can see the criticism of "welfare". I hope congress will agree on an extension of aid. Please, no $1200 checks to people that are employed like normal, or on social security, that's just showing the bad side of politics, giving money to people so they vote for you.

Yeah, backpacking is not what's driving this disease.

drm

Post by drm » August 6th, 2020, 6:15 am

They really don't have the ability to determine who needs the $1200 and who doesn't on the time scales involved. If they tried, they would get it wrong a bunch of times and then it would be even worse. And inevitably some people who do need it would be denied too. And remember that if you get it and don't need it, spend it in a way that helps somebody who does need it. Hire them, buy from them.

As to backpacking not being affected, I know somebody who was going to drive 1100 miles to visit me and go on a backpacking trip, but decided that hiking local was the better plan and just canceled. Unfortunately for him, while there are backpacking options near him, they are nothing like what there is here.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 6th, 2020, 7:46 am

okay, maybe on the $1200. It would be better if you could redirect to unemployed though

eliminating the payroll tax is even worse - the unemployed people that need it are excluded, it just goes to the people that don't need it

drm

Post by drm » August 10th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Do folks think that Mt Hood is more crowded this year due to COVID19 - maybe because people can't travel, trek the Himalayas or the Alps (or just about anything out of state I guess)?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 10th, 2020, 2:28 pm

drm wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 12:55 pm
Do folks think that Mt Hood is more crowded this year due to COVID19 - maybe because people can't travel, trek the Himalayas or the Alps (or just about anything out of state I guess)?
Last week, I was in the Sierra Nevada, and I talked to people in both Tahoe and Bishop who said they're getting swamped with people from L.A. who want to stay in-state... so it's certainly possible that Hood is suffering the same fate.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » August 10th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Everywhere I have been this season, from Hood to the Elkhorns to the central Cascades, has been swamped compared to a normal year... and that goes for both hikers AND backpackers.
instagram: @remyodyssey