cross on Silver Star Mountain summit [now Sturgeon Rock!]

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

cross on Silver Star Mountain summit [now Sturgeon Rock!]

Post by Chip Down » June 17th, 2020, 7:05 pm

Is this new? I was surprised to see it.
Welded steel, so must have been quite a haul. Which may have been part of the point.

[I'm adding the word crucifix so this will show up in searches, although it's not actually a crucifix.]
Attachments
20200617_094026.jpg
Last edited by Chip Down on July 29th, 2023, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teachpdx

Re: cross on Silver Star Mountain summit

Post by teachpdx » June 18th, 2020, 6:05 am

Maybe they got it up there by driving 4109, removing the boulders at the end of the road, and driving up (as mentioned in your other post).

That's the good, Christian thing to do, after all. :lol:
instagram: @remyodyssey

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 18th, 2020, 6:56 am

A guy was seen dragging the materials up there and erecting the cross on May 23. Photos in this post in the Portland Hikers Facebook Group. I'm surprised no one has taken the cross down yet.

pcg

Post by pcg » June 18th, 2020, 7:03 am

This symbol has many connotations, of course. One that comes to mind is that it’s a symbol of the colonizers who arrived here a few hundred years ago and proceeded to decimate the native people, eradicate their religion (this mountain was sacred to them, as indicated by the vision quest sites on the south side), and desicrate the land, all in the name of money. How many times was this mountain logged, and then replanted so it can be logged again. The trees planted in rows on the SE slopes look ridiculous.

Regardless of what it represents, in this context it’s litter. Some people think the world is theirs alone to do as they see fit. Respect the land and leave no trace please. The guy who put it there (his photo is on the Internet now) should be fined and billed for cost of removal.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » June 18th, 2020, 2:45 pm

pcg wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 7:03 am
This symbol has many connotations, of course. One that comes to mind is that it’s a symbol of the colonizers who arrived here a few hundred years ago and proceeded to decimate the native people, eradicate their religion (this mountain was sacred to them, as indicated by the vision quest sites on the south side), and desicrate the land, all in the name of money. How many times was this mountain logged, and then replanted so it can be logged again. The trees planted in rows on the SE slopes look ridiculous.

Regardless of what it represents, in this context it’s litter. Some people think the world is theirs alone to do as they see fit. Respect the land and leave no trace please. The guy who put it there (his photo is on the Internet now) should be fined and billed for cost of removal.
Amen!!!

(pun intended)
instagram: @remyodyssey

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 18th, 2020, 4:19 pm

justpeachy wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 6:56 am
A guy was seen dragging the materials up there and erecting the cross on May 23. Photos in this post in the Portland Hikers Facebook Group. I'm surprised no one has taken the cross down yet.
Wish I could view that private page, but alas, I recognize that FaceBook damages our culture, so I don't have an account.

pcg wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 7:03 am
The trees planted in rows on the SE slopes look ridiculous.
Thank you! They took the most beautiful non-glaciated mountain visible from Portland, and planted a damn Christmas Tree farm on it! Oh, I just realized that ties in with the cross. :D

Chip Down

Re: cross on Silver Star Mountain summit [now Sturgeon Rock!]

Post by Chip Down » July 29th, 2023, 7:51 pm

The cross (or one like it) is now on the summit of Sturgeon Rock!

If you saw the cross on Silver Star, and if you know what the summit of Sturgeon Rock looks like, you probably wonder if I was drinking when I purportedly saw this.
Well, of course I was, because Chip Down, but that's beside the point, as I have photographic evidence.

I spotted the cross from the north ridge of SS, and decided I'd better take a side trip and check it out. Sure enough, as it appeared from a distance, it really is right at the summit.

I don't support this embellishment of Sturgeon, but I'm immensely impressed at this guy's determination. It boggles the mind to think what it took to haul that cross up there and anchor it to the rock.
Attachments
20230729_160859.jpg

Tedmsby1

Post by Tedmsby1 » July 30th, 2023, 12:26 pm

I personally know the guys who have been hauling these crosses up.

They are from the cowlitz tribe that inhabited the yacolt valley and the mountain is special to them. Would not recommend messing with them unless you reeeaallly want to anger the locals.

With the history of this particular mountain ownership changing hands several times over the years from private ownership to government owned and leased, the local natives donated ownership of the land to the state with the stipulation they will still be able to use the mountain without permit or fees.

Agree with the symbol or not, we need to respect the local peoples wishes and just leave it alone.

Tedmsby1

Post by Tedmsby1 » July 30th, 2023, 1:03 pm

Much like you see on st Helen’s with the berry fields, and around rainier with the native style dwellings you’ll find in the woods. There are areas here that the natives can and do use without restriction.