Recommendation for group dispersed camp spot?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
robinjackson

Recommendation for group dispersed camp spot?

Post by robinjackson » June 17th, 2020, 8:44 am

Hello all!

I am planning a group hiking trip and I'm looking for a spot to camp for 4-5 nights as base that is NOT in a campground. We want privacy and space for enough people w distance. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a truly amazing large group dispersed/free camping spot that can accommodate up to 25 people and is private.

Anywhere within 3 hours east of Portland, OR.

Near some good hiking trails (obviously!) Esp to lakes.

And near water for swimming.

Preference is near the edge of the pine transition zone, but really, open.

If you don't mind sharing, I'd be SO grateful!! I will keep it secret : )

Warmly,
Robin

retired jerry

Re: Recommendation for group dispersed camp spot?

Post by retired jerry » June 17th, 2020, 9:16 am

Badger Creek Road. From Tygh Valley fairgrounds to Badger Creek. Many good spots.

Hike up Badger Creek Trail, Little Badger Creek Trail.

Bring water, although there is water in Badger Creek and Little Badger Creek

drm

Post by drm » June 18th, 2020, 7:09 am

The upper Wind River Road, past the Government Mineral Springs turnoff, has a lot of good dispersed sites, as do side roads off of it. They are popular and you will need to grab it during a weekday as the best ones will all be taken by Friday afternoon. With a large group, please be very careful about all your trash and wastes. I once saw a large camp like that where they dug a latrine for the group, right on the bank above a creek.

If you want access to Lakes, the Forlorn Lakes campground should be considered. Yeah, it's a campground, but not like any normal one. There are numerous lakes and most only have one or two sites on them. It's also pretty popular, but for a large group, it would be advantageous to have an outhouse. Some sites are quite large. The nearest hiking is the east side of Indian Heaven - more lakes - but it's too early for that now as the snowmelt has been slow. If this is for later in the summer, it would work.

think2survive

Post by think2survive » July 28th, 2020, 11:07 am

drm wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 7:09 am
With a large group, please be very careful about all your trash and wastes. I once saw a large camp like that where they dug a latrine for the group, right on the bank above a creek.
Yuck yuck yuck. A great example of the tragedy of the commons.