what if the permit box is empty?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Chip Down

Re: what if the permit box is empty?

Post by Chip Down » May 16th, 2020, 3:29 pm

BigBear wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 2:31 pm
I would be surprised if you found any permits in a box if there's snow on the ground at the trailhead. Did you have to chain up to find that trailhead?
Hey BB, I'm so happy to see your post. Encountered a guy who said he was hunting for bear, so naturally I was concerned for your well-being.

The permit box was quite a ways up the trail. I didn't check, but I suppose it must have been at the wilderness boundary. Road was clear.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 16th, 2020, 6:09 pm

retired jerry wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 5:34 am
All threads eventually degenerate to an argument about the NWFP :)
It's the PNW hikers' equivalent of Godwin's Law.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 16th, 2020, 7:34 pm

Exactly :)

Guy

Post by Guy » May 18th, 2020, 6:22 pm

I always wondered what was in those boxes.....
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Crusak

Post by Crusak » May 20th, 2020, 12:20 pm

Take a photo of the empty permit box as evidence of your inability to comply with their demands. ;)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Double Tree

Post by Double Tree » May 24th, 2020, 12:36 pm

There were no permits in the box when a friend and I went to Green Lakes several years ago. We read the rules, even photographed the sign. We hiked in, set up camp in one of the designated sites, and right on cue, here comes a ranger. She acknowledged there were no permits in the box. It was late September, and they had been pre-printed for Green Lakes and they couldn't refill with generic ones. However, someone had to be ticketed, for no permit. She issued me a "serves as permit" ticket, no penalty. Fair enough, except that it put me in the computer base with the forest service, as having transgressed the rules at some point. Less likely to be any leniency if I truly do screw up in the future.
Kelly

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 24th, 2020, 1:19 pm

Double Tree wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 12:36 pm
There were no permits in the box when a friend and I went to Green Lakes several years ago. We read the rules, even photographed the sign. We hiked in, set up camp in one of the designated sites, and right on cue, here comes a ranger. She acknowledged there were no permits in the box. It was late September, and they had been pre-printed for Green Lakes and they couldn't refill with generic ones. However, someone had to be ticketed, for no permit. She issued me a "serves as permit" ticket, no penalty. Fair enough, except that it put me in the computer base with the forest service, as having transgressed the rules at some point. Less likely to be any leniency if I truly do screw up in the future.
Kelly
Interesting to me, as that's the only place I've ever been asked for a permit. If I was told I would be issued a no-penalty citation, I don't know how I'd respond. I like to think I wouldn't get violent, but other than that I can't be sure I could maintain my composure. In all my previous encounters with authority figures while hiking, I managed to keep my cool, but I feel like someday the cork is gonna pop.

Double Tree

Post by Double Tree » May 24th, 2020, 6:25 pm

Vaguely -- very vaguely -- I recall something about, write yourself a permit and sign it. On your own paper, carry it with you. I agree to follow all the rules and enforce them in my group, that kind of thing. Have no idea if it would work.
Kelly

drm

Post by drm » May 25th, 2020, 6:46 am

I've never heard of a "serves as a permit" ticket, but the name makes it sound like he was just writing a permit for you to have since you couldn't write your own at the trailhead. Nice ranger. :lol: If there really is such a thing as a "serves as permit" ticket with no penalty, then that probably is indicated on the computer record.

I suppose those who assume the worst in others somehow have a way of getting it too. Not sure how that works, something about the cosmos I guess.

Double Tree

Post by Double Tree » May 28th, 2020, 6:49 pm

Found it. I folded over the bottom which contained personal info.
Kelly
Attachments
IMG_20200528_194645.jpg