Confused - What is Open or Allowed during Covid Quarantine?

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
burnside

Re: Confused - What is Open or Allowed during Covid Quarantine?

Post by burnside » May 26th, 2020, 12:37 pm

I hiked part of the PCT this past weekend, 12 miles as well, and saw only two groups. One was a group of 4 guys, the other was a family of 4 who camped that night. We saw each other and easily passed by quickly when there was a safe distance between us.

On the way home I passed by the start of the PCT on the WA and saw many cars parked across the street from the trailhead. These were families with kids who usually would be parking at the Bonneville trailhead a mile west, but since that is closed, they just use the wide shoulders before the Bridge of the Gods.

Later on during my drive home I passed by Lacamas Heritage trail that takes you alongside Lacamas Lake in Camas. The parking lot was not only completely full, but cars were parked off the curbs and shoulder of the road. Safe distancing was definitely not being practiced here.

gallione11

Post by gallione11 » May 26th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Really not sure why Mount Hood NF is dragging their feet so much. They posted a notice on the 7th saying they were working on a plan to safely reopen. Sometime last week, the publication date changed to the 12th for some reason. Now I can't even find that notice anywhere.

The counties encompassing the borders are all in stage 1 at least for reopening, and people are still using the trails. Just open it up already. In my outings this month, I've counted 11, 30 and 48 people the we passed during our 7-10 miles.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » May 26th, 2020, 1:33 pm

They just announced it...

Mount Hood National Forest will reopen most trailheads, day use areas May 29
https://www.oregonlive.com/travel/2020/ ... ay-29.html
Most developed recreation sites will reopen Friday, May 29, the Mount Hood National Forest announced Tuesday, though some sites will remain closed, including most campgrounds and areas that are still under seasonal closures