Covid-19

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
retired jerry

Covid-19

Post by retired jerry » March 12th, 2020, 6:40 am

Interesting article https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... d3d9cd99ca

We are at the beginning of the exponential growth period

If we use social distancing (stay 6 feet away from others, no crowds,...) the growth can be cut off

If we just let this go until it gets worse, like Wuhan and Italy, hospitals get overwhelmed so care is poorer - death rate is 5%. Plus the number of cases is much bigger so number of deaths is much much bigger.

Each of us needs to implement social distancing immediately

rubiks

Re: Covid-19

Post by rubiks » March 12th, 2020, 6:55 am

It's absolutely wild watching this thing develop. March Madness is set to be played with no fans, and the NBA just suspended their season. We can look around at other countries around the world to get some idea of how it might play out here.

To keep it on topic for this forum, I wonder if we'll see an uptick of people out hiking trying to get away from the crowds.
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 12th, 2020, 7:01 am

I think that would be consistent with social distancing :)

While you're "working from home" you may as well go out hiking :)

ghsmith76

Post by ghsmith76 » March 12th, 2020, 8:05 am

Yes, added incentive to go backpacking.
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org

drm

Post by drm » March 12th, 2020, 8:12 am

I work out of my home, but all of my clients don't. If I have a forced vacation, I just have to hope for good weather!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 15th, 2020, 7:36 am

Is everyone doing social distancing?

Assume everyone but family members are infected

Stay 6 feet away

If you touch any surface that someone else could have touched or sneezed on, don't touch your face until you've washed your hands

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/13/ ... at-we-did/

"A coronavirus cautionary tale from Italy: Don’t do what we did
Many of us were too selfish to follow suggestions to change our behavior. Now we’re in lockdown and people are needlessly dying."

"An anesthesiologist at a hospital in Bergamo, one of the cities with the most cases of Covid-19, the illness caused by the new coronavirus, told the paper that the intensive care unit was already at capacity, and doctors were being forced to start making difficult triage decisions, admitting people who desperately need mechanical ventilation based on age, life expectancy, and other factors. Just like in wartime. The article was inexplicably placed on page 15, while the main headline on the newspaper’s front page relayed the political quarrels over the measures to curb the contagion."

"In the days since, overwhelmed hospitals have set up tents as makeshift hospital wards, and cargo containers have been placed at the entrances of medical centers to sort out patients coming at an increasing pace. Some of the people who can’t get medical care are dying in their homes."

beag

Post by beag » March 15th, 2020, 9:16 am

What Taiwan can teach the world on fighting the coronavirus. Too late for us now,

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 15th, 2020, 9:41 am

yeah!!!

maybe we can do an after action review and be more prepared for the next time

if we react drastically right now it shouldn't be too bad

Aimless

Post by Aimless » March 15th, 2020, 7:11 pm

Epidemiologists and public health officials already have reams upon reams of information about how to prepare for and act against the sort of pandemic we are now facing. Lack of information was never the problem. It was a lack of will to act upon that information, by tax-funding adequate preparations, maintaining public health institutions, and our leaders following the best available scientific advice even when it is unpopular with voters.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » March 16th, 2020, 11:44 am

Still not sure how this virus differs from a flu outbreak. The patient's response to contracting either strain should be the same, but perhaps the difference is in people not staying at home when they get sick. This seems strange in 2020 with the internet being available for on-line shopping and at home delivery.

I remember being in high school with a flu strain that effected about 25% of the population. We didn't have internet, and stores, businesses, school, sports did not close.

From the symptoms I've read, I honestly would not know whether I had the flu or the coronavirus. To complicate it even more, some people may have such a mild case they don't know they have it. CDC estimates between 36 million and 51 million have contracted the flu in the U.S. and 22,000 to 55,000 have died from it in the U.S. (Oct 1, 2019 thru Mar 7, 2020).

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/pr ... imates.htm

This is not to say the coronavirus is "a walk in the park." However, it seems we've grown quite complacent when it comes to catching the standard flu.