Covid-19

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Aimless

Re: Covid-19

Post by Aimless » March 23rd, 2020, 3:19 pm

As I understand it, the idea is that the less non-essential milling about we're doing, the less stress we put on all the emergency response systems. What we think of as normal living activities produce their share of illnesses and accidents as a matter of course. The purpose of all these restrictions and disruptions is to strip daily life down to the bare essentials that keep us alive and functional, so as much energy as possible can be directed toward managing the pandemic.

It's OK to think this sucks big time. So do wars and this situation needs to be addressed as urgently as any global war.

Water

Post by Water » March 23rd, 2020, 4:07 pm

removed
Last edited by Water on May 6th, 2020, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel Free to Feel Free

Limey

Post by Limey » March 23rd, 2020, 5:09 pm

So, it has happened. Waterfall corridor in the gorge shut down.
https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/ ... e-in-colum

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » March 23rd, 2020, 5:22 pm

Skamania County just made all outdoor recreational hiking illegal.

https://www.skamaniacounty.org/home/sho ... nt?id=2391
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 23rd, 2020, 6:08 pm

...and Washington just got the same full shutdown orders that Oregon did this morning. Washington prepared a very detailed list of "essential" businesses/services: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... cture.html

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 23rd, 2020, 6:11 pm

Bosterson wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 5:22 pm
Skamania County just made all outdoor recreational hiking illegal.

https://www.skamaniacounty.org/home/sho ... nt?id=2391
If one were to park pre-dawn, far from a trailhead, and head off cross-country on a route of one's own choosing to an obscure destination, and return to the car after dark, would the Sheriff be patiently waiting?

Would it be unethical to do so, if one didn't stop at retail establishments along the way?

I'm, umm, asking for a friend.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » March 23rd, 2020, 7:04 pm

US COVID19 F 03-23.png

drm

Post by drm » March 23rd, 2020, 7:26 pm

adamschneider wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 2:14 pm
However:
Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 3.38.10 PM.png
If I want to go backpacking on Mt Adams, I don't need to stay in a hotel, I don't need to stop anywhere, or talk to anybody. I will leave home with plenty of gas. An email from WTA says just don't go hiking at all. If you get into a car accident or get injured on the trail, you would be taking up scarce local/rural resources. I suppose so, but what are the chances of that?

Not that I'm planning to go imminently, the weather is lousy this week. Especially if this lasts a long time, and if my work runs out, and we get a sunny spell in April or May, I'm supposed to be limited to taking walks around town? I will just have to see how things feel if that comes about. If we are in anywhere near a worst case scenario, I won't even want to go.

I would add that in reading the Skamania County closure, it says it applies to all trailheads and parking areas within the scenic area. Which means national forest areas farther north are not included. Yet.

Water: I think the hope is that exclusions are used with care. As you say, a person could stay within the letter of the rule and probably still do a lot of damage. They are hoping people act intelligently and use even the allowed things with caution. That's what the governor hoped last week when she declined to issue the closure. Then we saw the crowds at the beach and at Multnomah Falls. So if lots of people do what you said, you would expect a more stringent rule to come out.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » March 23rd, 2020, 8:57 pm

drm wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 7:26 pm
I would add that in reading the Skamania County closure, it says it applies to all trailheads and parking areas within the scenic area. Which means national forest areas farther north are not included. Yet.
I am not sure about that. Point number 1 says "all recreational hiking destinations" in the county are closed. This includes the Gorge Scenic Area.

Point number 2 says it's illegal to park at any trailhead for non emergency reasons.

Certainly we should call the county tomorrow to have them clarify this, but it would appear they are stating you are not allowed to hike or park anywhere in the county at all.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » March 24th, 2020, 6:30 am

Do you think Cook Hill would be included in this ban!
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir