Covid-19

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
adamschneider

Re: Covid-19

Post by adamschneider » March 22nd, 2020, 7:55 pm

jessbee wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 7:36 pm
There are lots of places to roam on BLM and Forest Service land. Just be smart and be self sufficient and take care of yourself when you're out there.
I have a feeling that starting tomorrow, we'll be ordered (not asked) to stay home altogether.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » March 22nd, 2020, 9:32 pm

The current trajectory of fatalities in the United States puts us around 50,000 dead early in the second week of April. I desperately hope the existing measures will prevent that but many people are still not taking this seriously.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » March 23rd, 2020, 5:55 am

On Sun Mar 22, the Tilly Jane A-frame was locked but the Guard Station cabin was occupied. I'd call that inconsistent implementation.

I saw three people all day but expected more. I could hear several more in the distance (quiet windless day).
Last edited by johnspeth on March 23rd, 2020, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » March 23rd, 2020, 5:57 am

adamschneider wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 7:55 pm
I have a feeling that starting tomorrow, we'll be ordered (not asked) to stay home altogether.
Even the most restrictive shelter-in-place orders (so far) have allowed 'outdoor recreation'. So I think they may move to close more popular/crowded trailheads, but won't go as far as telling people they can't go on a hike altogether.

I simply don't understand how people aren't taking this seriously, yet. There are so many trails and the vast majority of them are perfect for practicing social distancing... I really hope the few imbeciles in the Gorge don't ruin it for everybody.

Just remember to take a couple steps further off the trail when somebody is passing you. That's all.
instagram: @remyodyssey

jessbee

Post by jessbee » March 23rd, 2020, 6:27 am

teachpdx wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 5:57 am
adamschneider wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 7:55 pm
Even the most restrictive shelter-in-place orders (so far) have allowed 'outdoor recreation'. So I think they may move to close more popular/crowded trailheads, but won't go as far as telling people they can't go on a hike altogether.

I simply don't understand how people aren't taking this seriously, yet. There are so many trails and the vast majority of them are perfect for practicing social distancing... I really hope the few imbeciles in the Gorge don't ruin it for everybody.

Just remember to take a couple steps further off the trail when somebody is passing you. That's all.
Exactly. If I literally have to stay in my house and can't go on an isolated walk in nature, I'll go on a killing spree and that won't be any good either.

Seriously though, we have easy access to so much public land in Oregon it is mind boggling that so many people can't find a quiet place to take a walk without packing in to the same handful of places.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

drm

Post by drm » March 23rd, 2020, 6:38 am

The thing is that when a few are irresponsible, everybody pays. They said on TV last night that you should enjoy the view at Dog Mtn in your car driving by rather than hiking up it. Clearly that person doesn't understand how the flower display there works, but it's still two months away anyway. If we do move towards some of the worst case scenarios, I wouldn't assume far more extreme measures wouldn't go into effect. Now I saw that state parks will be completely closing - that might close off low-intensity hiking areas like Crawford Oaks and Stacker Butte.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 23rd, 2020, 7:44 am

I ordered some food from amazon whole foods

No delivery available

after retrying 5 times, there was a delivery for tomorrow at 8PM to 10PM

please just set the food at the doorstep. Tape a $5 tip to the window next to the door. When the delivery person leaves, bring food inside and let it sit inside for 3 days so any virus can die. Wash hands before touching face.

I know, abundance of caution. I don't want to risk getting sick and having to go to the hospital right now.

It sounds like hospital conditions are getting worse.

techboy

Post by techboy » March 23rd, 2020, 10:29 am

drm wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 6:38 am
The thing is that when a few are irresponsible, everybody pays. They said on TV last night that you should enjoy the view at Dog Mtn in your car driving by rather than hiking up it. Clearly that person doesn't understand how the flower display there works, but it's still two months away anyway. If we do move towards some of the worst case scenarios, I wouldn't assume far more extreme measures wouldn't go into effect. Now I saw that state parks will be completely closing - that might close off low-intensity hiking areas like Crawford Oaks and Stacker Butte.
I was at Dog Mountain yesterday 3/22 - when I left the parking lot at around 8 AM there were less than a dozen cars. As I came down the trail I started seeing more and more people coming up. When I arrived at the parking lot it was a mad house, people were parked end to end and 3 or 4 cars were circling about like vultures looking for a spot to open up.
Also, someone stole all the toilet paper from the poopoo shack.
I wouldn't be surprised if Washington followed suit by closing all of the parks. In the case of Dog Mountain, it's impossible to observe social distancing rules on a narrow trail like that.

A. Hugh Jass

Post by A. Hugh Jass » March 23rd, 2020, 1:00 pm

From Oregon Governor Executive Order 20-12 signed this morning (3-23-20):
Screenshot_2020-03-23 jkAULYKcSh6DoDF8wBM0_EO 20-12 pdf.png
Last edited by A. Hugh Jass on March 23rd, 2020, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 23rd, 2020, 2:14 pm

A. Hugh Jass wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 1:00 pm
From Oregon Governor Executive Order 20-12:
However:
Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 3.38.10 PM.png