Eagle Creek Trail

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
squidvicious

Re: Eagle Creek Trail

Post by squidvicious » November 19th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Bosterson wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 5:55 pm
Ditto for Oneonta, which I assume is also high priority (but I don't think they've started working on yet).
The latest Scene newsletter & facebook update mentions a NPS crew working on Horsetail and Oneonta. Couple of pics on the post--doesn't look nice.

NW Yeti

Post by NW Yeti » November 20th, 2019, 8:36 am

You would think that the opening of the Eagle Creek would be perfect timing for the government/USFS to implement specific fees/permits such as what's happening at Dog Mountain. While most of us dislike the hiking trail permits, it would cut down on trail/ecosystem overuse and parking lot crime. How many trip reports included cars getting broke into at Eagle Creek? I also remember lots of trip reports concerning the lack of law enforcement patrols. Similar to the parking lot at Dog Mountain, if the USFS installed a gate where the chain link fence is now and set up the permit system at the campground/ fish hatchery parking lot should eliminate parallel parking and vandalism (to a point).
Hiking is never about the destination, it's about the adventure!!!

drm

Post by drm » November 22nd, 2019, 8:22 am

I wonder if the eventual reopening of Eagle Ck will take the pressure off Herman Ck, or if it is now "found" by a new crowd of users. It was almost impossible to find parking for Eagle Ck during normal weekend hours, though I have a flexible enough schedule to work around that, and with the far smaller lot, Herman is in a similar condition. But many people with more normal jobs do not. I rarely hike in the western Gorge, but I think that is normal there? (for me, western means west of Eagle Creek and Tanner stuff)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 22nd, 2019, 8:36 am

same here, not a lot of western gorge hiking although I've done Angel's Rest many times.

The Tanner Butte Ridge and up and around to Eagle Creek is a good one. Eventually that will open which will be interesting.